The world's best plasterboard fixings

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Post by ultimatehandyman »

I've made several videos now, which test out various plasterboard fixings to see how much weight they can hold before the plasterboard fails, so I have made this post, so that all the information is in one place. This should make it much easier for people to view all of the tests. If I make any furure videos, I can simply edit the post and add the video to this original post.

The test-

The test itself is very simple, firstly I have used the exact same jig for every single test, this is made from 3" X 2" timber, it is designed so that the sheet of plasterboard can be screwed along the top, down both sides and to the one stud that runs down the centre.

In all tests the plasterboard is 12.5mm thick standard plasterboard, it is not Corex plasterboard, fire rated plasterboard or Multiboard, all of which would give much different results.

Originally, I loaded up the shelf with blocks and bricks that I had left over from jobs, but when I started to do the testing inside, many of the blocks became damaged (I also used many of the blocks for filling post holes etc.), so in later videos I have used pieces of scrap metal. All pieces have been weighed and the total has been calculated after the plasterboard has failed.

I have tried to get the brackets in the same place for each test, and I have always tried to load the shelf so that the weights are closest to the plasterboard, so that the cantilever effect does not influence the results.

4 fixings are used in each test (two per bracket)

You may notice that some of the weights have moved during the video, this is because I load up the shelf, then have to unload it in order to add more weight to the shelf. Some of the videos literally take hours to film, and I try to cut this down to a short video.

Background-

A few years back I picked up a packet of plasterboard fixings, which claimed to be the “strongest in the world”, then I saw another packet with almost the same claim. I was bemused, as I had tried one of these fixings and was not really impressed with it. I got so annoyed with all of the ridiculous claims, that I decided to test them out myself. I filmed the results and put the video on YouTube, this is the first video-

At this moment in time, I bought a selection of plasterboard fixings (drywall fixings, if you are across the pond) and tested them out.

Then a few years later, there was an even larger amount of plasterboard fixings available, so I also tested those out in this video-

For some strange reason, the plasterboard test videos used to trigger some people on YouTube. One guy was constantly posting stupid comments on my other videos about the plasterboard tests, so I did what I do to all idiots on YouTube and blocked him!

Here are the results of how much weight 4 of the fixings could hold before the plasterboard fails-

1. Spring toggle 176KG or 387Lbs
2. Bullfix Extra 143KG or 314Lbs
3. Snap toggle (sometimes called zip fix fixing) 129KG or 284Lbs
4. Geefix fixing 125KG or 275Lbs
5. TOX Spiral pro fixing (these were sent by Paul Ekstorm-Hughes from Sweden) 118KG or 260Lbs
6. Hollow wall anchors 109KG or 240Lbs
7. GripIt fixing (Blue) 101KG or 222Lbs
8. EZGrip plasterboard fixing 91Kg or 200Lbs
8. Rosett plasterboard fixing 91KG or 200Lbs
8. Thorsman Duo Max 91KG or 200Lbs
8. Bladefixer 51KG or 112Lbs if installing the fixing from the front or 91Kg or 200Lbs if you can reach behind the plasterboard and help the fixings.
9. Metal plasterboard screw 53KG or 116Lbs

I have put this information into a spreadsheet to make it look more organised
pb1.png
pb1.png (32.5 KiB) Viewed 3680 times
The latest two videos are here-

These users thanked the author ultimatehandyman for the post (total 2):
Argyll (Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:20 am) • Gadget (Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:02 pm)
Rating: 14.29%
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

I normally use Gripits but have spring toggles but rarely use them. I don't know why.
These users thanked the author Argyll for the post:
ultimatehandyman (Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:24 am)
Rating: 7.14%
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

Noticed these on special so grabbed two bags.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H8K9KGJ? ... 2368374902
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Post by ultimatehandyman »

Argyll wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:31 pm Noticed these on special so grabbed two bags.

<a href="https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0 ... 374902</a>
They are normally my first choice of plasterboard fixing :thumbright:
fin

Post by fin »

thise grip its could do with some changes like. the little arrow on them is nigh on impossible to see.

mad how the toggle fixings are the strongest also.
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

ultimatehandyman wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:27 pm
Argyll wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:31 pm Noticed these on special so grabbed two bags.

They are normally my first choice of plasterboard fixing :thumbright:
Cunning how Amazon increase the price and RRP after people start buying them. They were listed yesterday at £2 with the RRP being around the £4 mark. Today they're listed on sale at £3.04 with the RRP at £6.25.

Return to “General DIY forum”