Storage heaters question

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

Ampmatt
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Storage heaters question

Post by Ampmatt »

Good afternoon . I'm new here hope someone can help.
I'm currently studying electronic engineering so I have a basic understanding of electrical laws.

I am trying to swap storage heaters from hallway to my bedroom.

The current one in my bedroom is a electric non storage dimplex heater .unkown model and power rating
(Doesn't have a storage brick in it )
It has a fused connection.

The one in the hallway is a dimplex storage heater with bricks in it. And I believe it's watts is 1.70kW
Dosnt have a fused wall connection .Image

My bedroom current one is useless , as doesn't store heat , sure it can heat up straight away but it's basically a large hairdryer !!

So I want to swap but I'm confused as to wether I need fuse or not .

Question 1)
Why is there a fuse for bedroom heater ?

Q2)
Can I put hallway storage heater in bedroom , just wire it through fused connection, even tho I believe it already has a internal fuse?
I have enclosed images.

EDIT - have checked fuse box there are two fuses labelled as storage heaters turned off both dint effect bedroom heater , so I believe bedroom one isn't on same circuit as hallway one. Which makes sense as it is a "instant" heat up , so wouldn't matter what tariff was on , as you can turn on anytime of day .
Last edited by Ampmatt on Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
dewaltdisney

Re: Storage heaters question

Post by dewaltdisney »

I know little about electrics but as far as I am aware the storage heaters are on a separate (or should be) circuit so they can use the night time cheap tariff electric. So if you switch your storage rad to the bedroom it would have to be manually controlled to charge at night.

DWD
Ampmatt
Newly registered Member

Post by Ampmatt »

dewaltdisney wrote:I know little about electrics but as far as I am aware the storage heaters are on a separate (or should be) circuit so they can use the night time cheap tariff electric. So if you switch your storage rad to the bedroom it would have to be manually controlled to charge at night.

DWD
Do you mean there both on same separate circuit from other household connections, or that they each have there own circuit ?
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

My understanding is that they are on a separate shared circuit just for the storage rads. On the consumer board there should be circuit breakers marked up accordingly. These circuit(s) are linked to a time switch installed by the power supplier to control the cheap rate charging.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Ampmatt
Rating: 7.14%
Ampmatt
Newly registered Member

Post by Ampmatt »

dewaltdisney wrote:My understanding is that they are on a separate shared circuit just for the storage rads. On the consumer board there should be circuit breakers marked up accordingly. These circuit(s) are linked to a time switch installed by the power supplier to control the cheap rate charging.

DWD
Just checked fuse box and there's two fuses marked storage they are for hallway and living room heaters , so the bedroom one must be on normal circuit ?!
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Yes, I did suspect that. Would it be too hard to run a separate supply for a new rad that you can connect to the time switch for the cheap rate?

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Ampmatt
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

dewaltdisney is not wrong, but to expand on what he said.

The idea of a storage heater is that it is heated during the night using "cheap" electricity. The heat is stored by the bricks inside, hence the name "storage heater"
The other device you have is just a standalone heater.

Storage heaters have no fused connection unit because they are wired in radial circuits so each heater has its own fuse at the consumers unit, where as a convection heater could be wired into the normal ring and so will require a fused connection unit.

As you have now figured out, you can't just swap them over, you would have to run a cable from the new position to the dedicated consumers unit. Also to move one you should have 10 people to lift it, or take the bricks out being careful not to damage the heating elements.
These users thanked the author Someone-Else for the post:
Ampmatt
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
Ampmatt
Newly registered Member

Post by Ampmatt »

someone-else wrote:dewaltdisney is not wrong, but to expand on what he said.

The idea of a storage heater is that it is heated during the night using "cheap" electricity. The heat is stored by the bricks inside, hence the name "storage heater"
The other device you have is just a standalone heater.

Storage heaters have no fused connection unit because they are wired in radial circuits so each heater has its own fuse at the consumers unit, where as a convection heater could be wired into the normal ring and so will require a fused connection unit.

As you have now figured out, you can't just swap them over, you would have to run a cable from the new position to the dedicated consumers unit. Also to move one you should have 10 people to lift it, or take the bricks out being careful not to damage the heating elements.
Thanks for replys il shall see what I can do .

Return to “Electric Forum UK”