Dodgy spirit level - and fitting a door with it!

Wood working questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

darkhorse
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dodgy spirit level - and fitting a door with it!

Post by darkhorse »

ok guys.

Well, I bought a brand new 72" spirit level recently off Screwfix. It was a 'Site' make. A good make I thought....

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/50568/Han ... -72-1800mm

Fast forward a few weeks and I was fitting an external door frame the other day
Anyway, to cut a long story short it was being a MAJOR **** to true up. I was using the level in the correct orientation (as its only accurate on one side)
Anyway, I would get the frame set, go back to double check (without touching it) and it would be out??

WTF I thought..getting very angry as well!

Using my old 900mm spirit level (which I didnt have on me) it would have been much much easier.

Anyway, after much messing about I got the hinge side in and then the other jamb and I was away or so I thought.

I tested the level on a wall and drew a line, rotated it and used the other vial...

it was about 8-9mm out doing this in vertical and horizontal!! so as a result one of my jambs was not true. I then went back home and got my trusty stanley 'short' spirit level and used that.... (slightly different readings again!!) :cb

The moral of the story? never trust a new spirit level :scratch:

Also, a question for the joiners amongst you.

When fitting a door casing, do you use a long spirit level to get the jambs straight? because...with this one at least, it was impossible to get the level to be correct for both vials for the jamb....

I found it much better using a 900mm level and moving it up the jamb.

ALSO, have any of you ever had two different spirit levels that give totally different readings for the same workpiece???? :cb
Its not good!!!and as such I am not sure what make of long level to buy now,
any ideas>?

thanks
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Post by ultimatehandyman »

My friend has a spirit level that is miles out and recently he was in bed ( as he is a shift worker) and a neighbour knocked on the door and asked to borrow a level, his wife found the level and lent it to them. They installed an lintel with it.

When My friend got up he went to see how they were doing with the lintel and noticed that the lintel was not level and then he spotted his dodgy level was there :shock:

He dare not tell them that his level was out.

I normally use a 900mm level for door jambs, mine was a cheap one, but is very accurate.

I bought a Forge spirit level from screwfix and this is about 5 feet long and the bubble in the level is a couple of mm too small to fill the lines in the spirit level vial, which is useless. ::b
uncle buck

Post by uncle buck »

Hi,
Sorry to hear of your trouble with this level.
If the level is out as much as you say, personally I would take it back to Screwfix & get a refund as it is no use what so ever as it is....its only use is a straight edge as it is & that is assuming its straight!

I don't use a long level I use a straight edge & a small level which works out a lot cheaper!
The straight edge I have is quite heavy aluminium box section that is used in PVC windows....why not call in at a PVC window manufacturer...there's one on just about every industrial estate... & ask if they have any thing like this...you will get a length for a few quid!

The best level I have used is the Stabila 83s....there not cheap but it should last a lifetime if you treat it with respect.
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

never buy a level that you can't adjust :roll: :roll: :roll:

2 screws in workbench adjust screws till bubble central 'flip level
adjust vial[bubble] half the difference 'adjust screw till level shows level flip level

repeat above till accurate

do'not use level to "dunt" bricks level :scratch:
we are all ------------------still learning
joiner_uk

Post by joiner_uk »

Many years ago I had once bought a no name 6' spirit level then fitted about 7-8 door frames.
The guy fitting the doors asked 'whats this' and held his stabilo spirit level aginst the 1st door frame.
To my horror the frame was out a fair bit :cussing:
From then on I always used a stabilo level, everyone says there a good accurate level. Just make sure you don't drop em.
Hitch

Post by Hitch »

big-all wrote:never buy a level that you can't adjust :roll: :roll: :roll:

adjust vial[bubble] half the difference 'adjust screw till level shows level flip level

Is there many you can adjust then?

Stabila have a lifetime warranty on the vials moving, as long as the body isnt damaged i believe.

My 10" aluminium Stabila has been dropped from cherry pickers onto concrete floors, used to gently tap things, must be about 7 years old and still true last time i checked it. A magnet did fall out last time i dropped it though :cb
[size=100][color=green][b]Why isn't the number 11 pronounced onety one? [/b][/color][/size]
Welsh Decorator

Post by Welsh Decorator »

With uncle buck, they are the doggies dangalies, and haveing just done a quick search, they are cheeper now then when I got mine :angryfire: :angryfire:
I wish I was born rich..............instead of just good looking!!!
chippymike

Post by chippymike »

1800 stabila for door frames and stabila levels are the only ones i will buy
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

Hitch wrote:
big-all wrote:never buy a level that you can't adjust :roll: :roll: :roll:

Is there many you can adjust then?

Stabila have a lifetime warranty on the vials moving, as long as the body isnt damaged i believe.

My 10" aluminium Stabila has been dropped from cherry pickers onto concrete floors, used to gently tap things, must be about 7 years old and still true last time i checked it. A magnet did fall out last time i dropped it though :cb

eeehhhh :roll: dont decent metal levels adjust anymore!!!!!

most of mine are old wooden raborne levels although i did get an ITS
multilevel pack last year never notice if it perminantly set or not!!! :scratch: :scratch:
we are all ------------------still learning
joiner_uk

Post by joiner_uk »

chippymike wrote:1800 stabila for door frames and stabila levels are the only ones i will buy
Same here :thumbright:
Tryanything

Post by Tryanything »

I always use a Stabila level as in my opinion they are the best :thumbright:
For door frames and studwork i use a 1200mm long and hold the level central to the lengh of timber as if you hold
the level nearer to the top or bottom and the timber is bowed you will get 2 different readings
There would be less trouble in the world
if l had not had six daughters

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”