Moderator: Moderators

GJO
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Fixing plasterboard to plasterboard

Post by GJO »

Hi,

Slightly odd question, perhaps, but how would you fix additional layers of plaserboard to a wall that already has plasterboard on it?

I want to add two more layers (9.5mm or 12.5mm), with Green Glue sandwiched in between, to improve sound insulation, but don't know how to fix these additional layers.

The existing layer is 15mm and attached (I think) by dot-and-dab to the brick wall.

Can I just use high-strength grab adhesive for the first layer and screw the second layer to this, or dot-dab over the top?

Any help appreciated!
royaloakcarpentry

Post by royaloakcarpentry »

Green are moisture resistant.

If walls are dot and dabbed then gypline, insulate and overboard in your blue (sound) board.
GJO
Newly registered Member

Post by GJO »

Thanks, but I'm not sure I understand the reply.

My question was how to fix layers of plasterboard to a wall that already has a layer of 15mm plasterboard on it.

I don't intend to use Soundshield board, as the Green Glue compound is providing the elastic damping effect.

The Green Glue compound is spread between two layers of plasterboard (but, despite the name, it's not an adhesive) so I need to know how to attach this Plasterboard-Green Glue-Plasterboard sandwich to the existing wall.

Ta!
martyn1967

Post by martyn1967 »

Find & mark the Walls stud uprights, slap the green glue on then overboard with 12.5 , use 55mm dry wall screws,
hope this helps.
royaloakcarpentry

Post by royaloakcarpentry »

pmsl....green glue. I responded to overboarding with green and blue boards.

must have been a long day yesterday, sorry.
GJO
Newly registered Member

Post by GJO »

martyn1967, I don't think there are any studs to screw into. The existing 15mm plasterboard is dot-dabbed to the brick wall.

How about using a grab adhesive for the first board layer, and then using self-drill plasterboard fixings to attach the second layer with GG to this?

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Plasterboard-Se ... urce=123_4

Would that provide a decent fix with good compression?

An alternative, I suppose, is to nail or screw directly into the masonry wall, but I can't see that being easy going!

I really want this to be easy!
Deleted-user-3
BANNED

Post by Deleted-user-3 »

just use thistle board adhesive and dab them on?
if youve got a wall thats miles out and even 3" of dabbng wont pull it back then just dab one layer on, let that dry then dab again over the top..
All my advice should be taken with a rather large pinch of salt, all the gear, absolutely no idea whatsoever ;)
leebwk

Post by leebwk »

Hi,

If the baseboard is going to be covered in "green Glue" then basically i would drill through the sheets of plasterboard into the masonry and screw and plug using long dri-wall screws
If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments..
martyn1967

Post by martyn1967 »

Can't remember what they're called but I used some board fixings a long time ago that were made of plastic and were similar to a nail, had to drill holes through the boards 8mm bit 3inch deep and hammer em in. Big heads on em and barnes to stop em coming out!!
Anybody used these before??
What would you rather bee or a wasp!

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/
martyn1967

Post by martyn1967 »

Barnes means barbs!! Sorry num fingers.

python
General Builder

Post by python »

martyn1967 wrote:Can't remember what they're called but I used some board fixings a long time ago that were made of plastic and were similar to a nail, had to drill holes through the boards 8mm bit 3inch deep and hammer em in. Big heads on em and barnes to stop em coming out!!
Anybody used these before??
Yes, I used these just before Christmas. They were about £35 a box iirc.

OP, how many boards do you need to fix as I have some fixings left over that would do the job.
python
General Builder

Post by python »

Attachments
nailable plug (2) (Small).jpg
nailable plug (2) (Small).jpg (9.73 KiB) Viewed 15293 times
martyn1967

Post by martyn1967 »

No they were a 1 piece all plastic oversized nailwith a barbed end and a head about the size of a 2p, not seen em used since late nineties?????

Ted White
Newly registered Member

Post by Ted White »

GJO wrote:martyn1967, I don't think there are any studs to screw into. The existing 15mm plasterboard is dot-dabbed to the brick wall.
You won't see much success with the current direction.

#1 You can't damp a wall that massive.

#2 Mass Law states that you would need to double the mass of the entire wall to gain 6 STC points (North American standard).

Really all you can do is to frame a new wall in several cm. from the old wall, then insulate and plaser.

This can be debated further, but there is significant lab data to support my assertion.
python
General Builder

Post by python »

Ted White wrote:
GJO wrote:martyn1967, I don't think there are any studs to screw into. The existing 15mm plasterboard is dot-dabbed to the brick wall.
You won't see much success with the current direction.

#1 You can't damp a wall that massive.

#2 Mass Law states that you would need to double the mass of the entire wall to gain 6 STC points (North American standard).

Really all you can do is to frame a new wall in several cm. from the old wall, then insulate and plaser.

This can be debated further, but there is significant lab data to support my assertion.
wat

Return to “Plastering Forum”