Moderator: Moderators

emmylou
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Building a cupboard across the stairs.

Post by emmylou »

Hi All,

I really would like some advice, I have a big area across my stairs which I would like to convert into a cupboard, which I can access from my bedroom. Have you got any suggestions on how to build it?

Thanks
Em
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Post by ultimatehandyman »

Hi Em,

I'll move this to the carpentry forum as it may get answered quicker in there!

When you say a "big area across my stairs" do you mean on the landing or underneath the stairs?
Hitch

Post by Hitch »

I think i see what you mean, but beware, you will need to keep a certain amount of headroom from the stairs as you walk down.

I cant offer much more than that im afraid, but im sure someone will soon.
[size=100][color=green][b]Why isn't the number 11 pronounced onety one? [/b][/color][/size]
emmylou
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

cupboard over the stairs

Post by emmylou »

Thanks for moving it to carpentry, wasn't really sure where it should be?The staircase is 3ft wide and we have made sure that we have measured it so we know that we have 2m headroom as you walk up the stairs.
Thanks
Em
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Hi Em.

I did this for a friend a few years back. There was a big void above the stairs which was a waste of space. The stairs were in two flights and this was over a half landing. It was straight forward in that it had two walls to straddle so I built a substantial platform out of 6 by 2 inch timber which was screwed in all around. I then studded it out with 3 by 2 inch CLS and plaster boarded over. I left the decorating side of the PB outwards which I think he just painted rather than skimmed. The access was easy as the existing wall was stud work and I cut a door access in and framed it . He actually used it as a walk in wardrobe as it must have been 6 by 3 foot overall.

The problem is cutting through from the bedroom in your case. If it is brickwork you will need to put a lintel in if it is studwork it is easier but not if electrics are running through.

Hope this helps

DWD

Return to “Carpentry/Joinery Forum”