gloss paint going yellow

Painting and decorating, plaster mouldings, Artexing questions

Moderator: Moderators

vanduara37
Newly registered Member

gloss paint going yellow

Post by vanduara37 »

Woman in work was saying she has tried painting her interior doors(6 panel woodgrain mdf) but says the paint looks very yellowy in colour as if there is a heavy smoker in the house (which there isn,t) the doors were previously painted white satin and she is now painting over with Dulux trade gloss (stirred vigorously) why is this happening,will she need to undercoat the doors and then re-gloss :dunno:
Beachcomber

Re: gloss paint going yellow

Post by Beachcomber »

I never use Dulux myself but have seen several comments on here from various people who have had this happen to them. A forum search should throw up the past threads for more info.
If at first you don't succeed - remove all evidence that you tried.
81ash

Post by 81ash »

I have got the same in my kitchen decorated just over a year and has yellowed very badly, especially noticable against my gloss white kitchen units!

I used Crown paint.
Tom d'Angler

Post by Tom d'Angler »

Gloss is now notorious for yellowing quickly. Satinwood stays white much longer.
Have Brush Will Travel

Post by Have Brush Will Travel »

Better off going for a water based gloss of sating, it wont yellow.
I intend to live forever......So far, so good
royaloakcarpentry

Post by royaloakcarpentry »

One word..............Crown Solo.

That is apparently what you need to be using for a good 'white' paint which doesn't yellow. Scored very highly in Which tests last year.

Just used water based satinwood for the first time, (I always use oil based paints). Dulux, and it is fecking useless, you need to factor for at least 2 extra top coats as opposed to oil based.
81ash

Post by 81ash »

royaloakcarpentry wrote:One word..............Crown Solo.

That is apparently what you need to be using for a good 'white' paint which doesn't yellow. Scored very highly in Which tests last year.
Thats the stuff i used in my kitchen, seems to have yellowed very quickly (under 12 months).
Deccy

Post by Deccy »

Crown Solo / Dulux Once / Trade gloss - any oil based gloss will yellow over time, even quicker if it is in a dark, warm place. You either put up with it and have a nice smooth looking finish or stick some water based stuff on that won't yellow but the finish won't be as good.
feva

Post by feva »

when i moved into my house i used dulux trade water based undercoat, then a coat of gliddens gloss, and after about six months, i noticed that it had gone yellow, but when i had a closer look, where i had missed with the gloss, you could see the difference ie the u/c had stayed white.

i have recently done all the wood work again, this time i put a oil based u/c then glossed with D.T high gloss, two months and its still looking good. and one of the doors was replaced 4 months ago and i u/c and glossed that as above when it was first hung to stop the kids marking the door, and that is still perfect.

im temped to try some water based gloss but the price puts me off, i pay £23.39 for 5 liters of D.T high gloss, and for 5 liters of D.T water based gloss is £46.78 both inc vat.
such is life!
Wjs123
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by Wjs123 »

Hope I can be of help. My Dulux rep had informed me the reason there paints are yellowing is because they are having problems meeting the 2010 voc regulations. The yellowing only occurs in areas of poor natural light, so is only an internal problem The first problems they experienced was the paint taking too long to dry and a problems with sheen levels While addressing this the new formulation has proven to yellow very quickly. My rep has advised me to not use there oilbased White paints because this problem is not going to go away.
Tom d'Angler

Post by Tom d'Angler »

My rep has advised me to not use there oilbased White paints because this problem is not going to go away.
:wtf:

What a strange thing for any rep to say. I find it very difficult to believe you because reps are highly unlikely to make such a sweeping statement as it would cost them dearly in their pocket. Also, he would know that such a statement, if it got back to his employers, would result in his instant dismissal.

I would be far more likely to believe you if he said something like "we are working on it and hope to have a solution soon", or even "get used to it as all manufacturers are experiencing the same problems".

(You don't work for one of the other manufacturers do you? Maybe here to stir things up?) :spam2: ???
Have Brush Will Travel

Post by Have Brush Will Travel »

Theres a new one coming out...hybrid...you heard it here first...
I intend to live forever......So far, so good
B Richardson Decor

Post by B Richardson Decor »

HBWT , do please tell us more !!! :wink:
Wjs123
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by Wjs123 »

Tom, It may have been a strange thing to say, but that's what he did tell me. He told me to use their waterbased paints instead, which are very good, however when a customer wants a high gloss finish, these don't come anywhere close. With regard to other manufacturers, they also are having problems but it doesn't seem to be as widespread as Dulux. Remember, this is not me trying to push another brand, I have always sworn by Dulux and spend approx 25k per year with them. I wish someone had pointed these problems out to me sooner because I have had to foot the bill to redecorate some work. Dulux seem to have spent alot of money paying to put work right and now seem to want to put a stop to that. Yes you are right they working on it, to try and improve the situation but as the voc levels change again in 2015, I think the rep was being honest. Most paints will become waterbased in the near future anyway. Farrow and Ball are one company that has totally gone this way. Cheers.
Northern Soul

Post by Northern Soul »

Does this problem occur with Gliddens Gloss too?
Can't say I've noticed or had any complaints yet.

Return to “Painting & Decorating Forum”