HELP Dishwasher Vs Plinth

Questions about fitting kitchens in here please

Moderator: Moderators

ayjay

Re: HELP Dishwasher Vs Plinth

Post by ayjay »

Boycee73 wrote:I think from what I you guys are telling me is that the dishwasher is set to low which when adjusted up will allow the cut into the plinth to be less...i think??
Yes, it certainly looks that way.
These users thanked the author ayjay for the post:
Boycee73
Rating: 7.14%
One day it will all be firewood.
speed

Post by speed »

Yes lift the dish washer, they usually supply riser kits with the dishwasher to lengthen the legs but if you don't have these you will have to put timbers under the legs,

With the machine higher it will lift the pivot point so no as much will need cutting from the plinth,

You will need to remove the door and rehang it too
These users thanked the author speed for the post:
Boycee73
Boycee73
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by Boycee73 »

Ok guys many thanks!

Just one last question, is there a minimum gap that I should leave between the top of the dishwasher and the underside of the worktop? I have the moisture control foil already applied under the work surface in this area.
darrenba

Post by darrenba »

The fitting instructions should be with the dishwasher. Normally fitted tight to the top with the required moisture protection in place. I'll try and post a pic of my neff dishwasher top fitting later
These users thanked the author darrenba for the post:
Boycee73
Boycee73
Newly registered Member

Post by Boycee73 »

I've asked my fitter to try and raise the dishwasher but he's replied that if he does this then the door will still have to be at the same height as the door next to it (adjoining cabinet) so it will still hit the plinth.
Is this right?
Wes
Wood Flooring Installer

Post by Wes »

If the dishwasher is set higher, the pivot point will change (raise), hence, not requiring the low cut on the plinth. It's unusual to see a 50 mm gap between the dishwasher and the underside of the worktop. Get him to raise the DW and all will be well IMO.
These users thanked the author Wes for the post:
Boycee73
Boycee73
Newly registered Member

Post by Boycee73 »

Hi,
You guys are completely right!! I've just popped into wickes and seen there displays which show the dishwasher higher!!
Can I ask though how the pivot point affects this?
aeromech3

Post by aeromech3 »

Geometry, the pivot is set back from the door face and about vertically above the plinth; the thick door bottom is closer to the plinth line and its opening arc needs more clearance as the bottom edge of the door actually swings lower before being vertically below this pivot point; with the machine raised and door facing at original level, the thinner door face arc needs less clearance when it reaches the plinth.
The plinth leaves about a 10mm gap to the underside of units normally and unless you get on hands and knees (difficult at my age) you will not notice this.
These users thanked the author aeromech3 for the post:
Boycee73
Boycee73
Newly registered Member

Post by Boycee73 »

Jee, can I just get you to fit it!!
aeromech3

Post by aeromech3 »

Forget my calculations, trial and error will be proof enough; example door face is 20mm thick and machine is 80mm higher than door face bottom edge. Don't cut your spare until you are happy, use the old plinth upside down as a template, good luck.
Wes
Wood Flooring Installer

Post by Wes »

Just for your knowledge Boycee73, It's common to see dishwashers (including legs obviously :-)) sat on a piece of off cut worktop or similar to gain the height. Just so you know in case your fitter starts talking fluff.

Don't ask me why the manufacturers don't make legs addaptable :dunno: Why is that Mr. Kitchen fitter's?

Possibly due to the intergrated dishwashers being supplied by different companies and some being small in height perhaps..
royaloakcarpentry

Post by royaloakcarpentry »

Wes wrote:Just for your knowledge Boycee73, It's common to see dishwashers (including legs obviously :-)) sat on a piece of off cut worktop or similar to gain the height. Just so you know in case your fitter starts talking fluff.

Don't ask me why the manufacturers don't make legs addaptable :dunno: Why is that Mr. Kitchen fitter's?

Possibly due to the intergrated dishwashers being supplied by different companies and some being small in height perhaps..
All the ones I have fitted come with a separate leg pack for higher applications (Not higher at all, just standard worktop height ::b ).

They may well be on boards because some legs are inheritantly useless. Lamona products, especially fridges often have the legs wind back in whilst pushing the appliance into position. You can spend a nice 2 hours mucking around with those. I percy devere rather than give up and use a board.
Wes
Wood Flooring Installer

Post by Wes »

Thanks ROC :thumbright:
fin

Post by fin »

i cant recall seeing a dishwasher come with spare legs. i have fitted a canny few. not as many as roc like.

last one i fitted was a 3 legged thing. with a screw at the front for raising the back single leg. and a bit of an overly complicated plastic mechanism that was knackered pretty much by the time id got it in the right position.

as others have said i fit em to the top.
These users thanked the author fin for the post:
Boycee73
Boycee73
Newly registered Member

Post by Boycee73 »

Yeah, I've been to the house today and dig out the fitting instructions that he had thrown away, it clearly says to the top!!!
Just hot to find a t20 screwdriver to get the bugger off!

Return to “Kitchen Fitting”