Connecting external phone cable to BT Junction Box

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

DIY_Johnny
Mr. Grumpy

Connecting external phone cable to BT Junction Box

Post by DIY_Johnny »

Hi all,

I need to move the BT master socket so I want to take the opportunity to replace the incoming cable (from the BT Junction Box to Master Socket) with an external Phone cable. The cable was connect to the BT connector box with a poor internal cable which is pretty corroded away now.

As you can see from the photo mine is the one shown by the blue arrow. Are the orange and white cables of these 4/5 pair cables just connected to the 2 screw in terminals ? Is it a matter of replacing 2 wires of my old cable with the orange and white if the new external cable and connect the orange to the A and white to B of the master socket?

A DIY Job?
Attachments
PhotoGrid_1518037848054.jpg
PhotoGrid_1518037848054.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 4236 times
Someone-Else

Re: Connecting external phone cable to BT Junction Box

Post by Someone-Else »

Yes, and yes.

But do indoors first, then outside.

Usually its blue and white cable, but it matters not.
Last edited by Someone-Else on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
OnlyMe
Approved Electrician

Post by OnlyMe »

I would say it's an easy DIY job.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

:withstupid:

But still do inside first.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

DIY_Johnny
Mr. Grumpy

Post by DIY_Johnny »

Thank you chaps.
I couldn't quite see what was going on with all those crimped connections in the middle. If they were part of the phone lines coming out of the box or part of the junction box

As a matter of interest, how do these junction boxes work? Can you connect to any pair of terminals?
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

As you rightly said they are junction boxes, they join cables form over here to over there. So you should only join to the pair you need.

DIY_Johnny
Mr. Grumpy

Post by DIY_Johnny »

someone-else wrote:As you rightly said they are junction boxes, they join cables form over here to over there. So you should only join to the pair you need.
I see thanks chaps, I think someone must have done a DIY install as the cable wouldn't be installed by BT I'd imagine :dunno:
Timllfixit

Post by Timllfixit »

Although it's technically easy to do it, and it will probably be fine, that looks like a BT/Openreach DP(Distribution Point) so you shouldn't really be touching it.

That said if you want do do it, there are a few points to note.

That's a BT(Block Terminal)41a 20 pair block terminal. It was primarily intended for connecting overhead dropwires( the wire from the pole to the house), which at the time it was introduced were much thicker than today. There are till great numbers of these in the network.
The screws are made of brass and do not need to be over tight( you don't want them snapping off) as the business ends are pointed, and if over tightened can actually break or cut a thin wire. For this reason when using thin wires, I strip off about 3/4 of an inch of insulation, and fold back about 1/2 an inch back on itself(back alongside the insulation) and terminate that with the finger and thumb only on the screwdriver.
Give it a spray with WD 40 when you have finished.
When all you have is a hammer, every problem is a nail.
DIY_Johnny
Mr. Grumpy

Post by DIY_Johnny »

Timllfixit wrote:Although it's technically easy to do it, and it will probably be fine, that looks like a BT/Openreach DP(Distribution Point) so you shouldn't really be touching it.

That said if you want do do it, there are a few points to note.

That's a BT(Block Terminal)41a 20 pair block terminal. It was primarily intended for connecting overhead dropwires( the wire from the pole to the house), which at the time it was introduced were much thicker than today. There are till great numbers of these in the network.
The screws are made of brass and do not need to be over tight( you don't want them snapping off) as the business ends are pointed, and if over tightened can actually break or cut a thin wire. For this reason when using thin wires, I strip off about 3/4 of an inch of insulation, and fold back about 1/2 an inch back on itself(back alongside the insulation) and terminate that with the finger and thumb only on the screwdriver.
Give it a spray with WD 40 when you have finished.

Thanks Tim, actually i rang sky and told them about it and they said they would send someone out. I thought that was strange as its between the master socket and the external junction box. i mentioned this to the guy that I wanted this noted in his computer notes as I don't want to be faced with a charge if he turns up and says its a BT Openreach issue and leaves. Given it affects other people's houses I would rather they do it so if they damage another cable its their problem.

I also rang a few guys and they want 150 quid to put in a new cable despite me telling them its about a 10m unrestricted run at the most and they have to need to drill holes, lift boards etc. They would be done in 30mins Can do it on the way home cash in hand job. Some trades charge a way too much
Timllfixit

Post by Timllfixit »

Hi Johnny.
Thanks Tim, actually i rang sky and told them about it and they said they would send someone out
That would likely be an Openreach engineer, as we are effectively contractors for the telephone service providers. I explain it to customers that OR is like Railtrack. We own and maintain the network for other companies to run their traffic on it. Besides which we don't want every Tom, d*ck or Harry mucking about in our network.

The usual rule of thumb is if your existing network cable were to develop a fault (outside your boundary) then Openreach SHOULD fix it with no charge(to you). I can only say should because I have been caught out a couple of times assuring customers there would not be a charge, only to have them receive a bill from the SP. Both times though the SP did back down.

As is, you are requesting a shift or planned works, without a fault( that's treated as an install) then OR would charge the Service provider, who would then in all likelihood re-coup it from you.
DIY_Johnny
Mr. Grumpy

Post by DIY_Johnny »

Hi Tim, well

what happened was I sent photos (before the master socket( to SKY who suggested said that the line was knackered even though I was still getting a signal. They are the same photo as above. Surprisingly they sent out a SKY guy to look at it and he tested the line and said there was no ring tone. Hence he organised the openreach guy to come out today. The openreach guy found nothing wrong with the line as the apparently the SKY guy tested the wrong socket.

He did look at the line and said they can't replace it if it technically working even though its pretty corroded. I mentioned that it would take about 30 mins max to run a new cable in as all boards were lifted, holes already drilled in the walls He couldn't do it but was decent enough to leave me a good run of external cable. I just did it myself, moved the master socket and everything worked just fine. :thumbright:

If SKY come back to me with a bill I'll mention that they called the Openreach guy, not me and they reported the line as a fault in the first place. They get enough money out of me

By the way that external cable is a bugger to strip without damaging the wires. I guess there is a special cutter of sorts?
Timllfixit

Post by Timllfixit »

Hi Johnny.
Yes, if it's dropwire( the wire that goes from the pole to the house) then yes it is understandably tough. There is a special stripper for that shaped like a butterfly, that slits the cable longitudinally. Then there's a "skinner" string that is supposed to be used to do the rest. It usually snaps though, which can be annoying if you're up a pole. Then we have to use the support/catenary strands. Once the outside is taken care of then the support strands are cut off about an inch long and folded back over the sheath and a plastic sleeve fitted to stop them pulling through, and the next guy spearing himself on them.

For underground cable we have a circumferential stripper.
DIY_Johnny
Mr. Grumpy

Post by DIY_Johnny »

Timllfixit wrote:Hi Johnny.
Yes, if it's dropwire( the wire that goes from the pole to the house) then yes it is understandably tough. There is a special stripper for that shaped like a butterfly, that slits the cable longitudinally. Then there's a "skinner" string that is supposed to be used to do the rest. It usually snaps though, which can be annoying if you're up a pole. Then we have to use the support/catenary strands. Once the outside is taken care of then the support strands are cut off about an inch long and folded back over the sheath and a plastic sleeve fitted to stop them pulling through, and the next guy spearing himself on them.

For underground cable we have a circumferential stripper.

Yeah I saw that but couldn't really get a grip at it. Phone line still working and internet up and running so all good :thumbleft:

Return to “Electric Forum UK”