Long Reach Hedge Trimer

Please post all of your gardening questions in here and one of our green fingered members will try and help.

Moderator: Moderators

newdud
Been thanked: 0

Long Reach Hedge Trimer

Post by newdud »

I am looking for a Hedge Trimer on a pole. I have two long hedges that need to be trimmed once a year.
I also have a tallish confre tree which also needs a trim / shaping once a year.

I have been looking at some battery powered ones i.e. Bosch. SInce the motor is on the end of the pole and it weighs about 4kg the reviews says it can become un-whildey
when fully extended since most of the weight is at the end of the pole. I have an electric chainsaw on a pole and I know from experience it is almost unusable when fully extended because of the weight of the motor at the top !

I was also looking at some petrol ones as well. These units have the engine at the bottom, so does it make them easier to use when fully extended as most of the weight is still at the bottom.

Also, are these multicomponent onnes ay good like (BU-KO 52cc ) or they jack of all trade master of none !
dewaltdisney

Long Reach Hedge Trimer

Post by dewaltdisney »

The multi tool is the best solution for you. I have all petrol machines and they are best as the weight can go on to a harness. Check out the Oregon harness. only £20, but well worth it. I do not think the multitool impares performance on any of the attachments. Also check out my thread on mini chainsaws as they are a cheap brilliant tool to have.

DWD
etaf

Long Reach Hedge Trimer

Post by etaf »

check on availability , I have a Stihl battery extenable hedge trimmer on back order - ordered it in Nov 21 and still they have not had any shipments in!!!!!!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=106093
I had looked at the EGO, but that needs a pole added, but when i borrowed the Stihl, it was very good a would do all out hedges - BUT i'm just an average Diyer with an above average garden.
I have had a few other suggestions.
looks like i will be borrowing the mother inlaws trimmer again soon !!!!!!
Simple DIYer
Wayne
newdud
Been thanked: 0

Long Reach Hedge Trimer

Post by newdud »

dewaltdisney wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:15 pm The multi tool is the best solution for you. I have all petrol machines and they are best as the weight can go on to a harness. Check out the Oregon harness. only £20, but well worth it. I do not think the multitool impares performance on any of the attachments. Also check out my thread on mini chainsaws as they are a cheap brilliant tool to have.

DWD
So the one you have is a some sort of a petrol one ? And are you saying that when fully extended the weight distribution is ok i.e. since the petrol engine is at the bottom.
I am just an average DIYer and not a 20st bodybuilder with biceps that can crack walnuts :lol: so my concern is the weight distribution
Can you recommend a model in the sub £200 range ?

Thanks
dewaltdisney

Long Reach Hedge Trimer

Post by dewaltdisney »

Well, I have all three as individual 2 stroke machines but a single petrol motor unit with interchangeable attachments will do the job. As for weight the motor is close to you and the Oregon harness distributes the load over your upper body, they are excellent see https://www.screwfix.com/p/oregon-trimm ... size/2193v

As for the unit they are all Chinese sourced like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302732195438 ... Swi~5Z2nJ9 You can see the same machines badged up with big name manufacturers. Screwfix equivalent https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttk587 ... tool/48423 but it only has the 25cc motor whereas the eBay one has a 50cc unit. The 25cc is obviously a bit lighter to heft.

Quite frankly, they all do the job and as long as you look after them cleaning and lubricating they are fine. I have an Echo pole hedge trimmer and the pole chainsaw and brushcutter are Hyundai (badged) my strimmer is a McCulloch.

DWD
banjerbill

Long Reach Hedge Trimer

Post by banjerbill »

I have a Stihl kombi which is pretty bombproof but the cutting blades are damn heavy and when used with the optional extension pole it is virtually unusable.

Might be OK if you are younger and fitter than me!
dewaltdisney

Long Reach Hedge Trimer

Post by dewaltdisney »

Bill try one of the Oregon harnesses. The machine clips on and the weight is evenly distributed over your upper body plus the clip acts as a pivot point to make it easier to wield the pole.

DWD
banjerbill

Long Reach Hedge Trimer

Post by banjerbill »

Hi DWD,

Thanks for the tip. I can only find a strimmer harness by Oregon, is this the one you refer to?
I have found a Stihl pole hedgecutter harness but of course it's megabucks.

Bill
dewaltdisney

Long Reach Hedge Trimer

Post by dewaltdisney »

Yes, the Screwfix link is the one https://www.screwfix.com/p/oregon-trimm ... size/2193v (read the reviews) I use it on all my tools, you have to play with the straps to get the height to suit but it does really help with the strain on your arms, neck, and back. O am sure it will help you.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
banjerbill (Tue May 10, 2022 6:22 pm)
Rating: 7.14%

Return to “Gardeners World”