Worth a watch

This forum is for topics or posts that do not fit into any other forum, this includes online games such as word Association etc.

Moderator: Moderators

dewaltdisney

Worth a watch

Post by dewaltdisney »

We watched on C5 last night a great documentary called Holidays in the 70s. Brilliant archive film about the start of package holidays and air travel for the masses. The only downside is the goons they chose to have modern-day reactions to how the travel process was by looking at old travel brochures and sitting in a grounded vintage VC10 in a simulation of the air flight. Totally unnecessary b*llocks talk. Discounting the added idiots it was brilliant and well worth a watch.

DWD
dewaltdisney

Worth a watch

Post by dewaltdisney »

We watched a good documentary last night on BBC2 called Why Buildings Collapse. It is about Champlain Towers South, an apartment building on the seafront near Miami. This 40 year old block collapsed in 2021 killing 98 people. They try to establish the cause and it is quite well done. Worth a watch.

DWD
Grendel

Worth a watch

Post by Grendel »

We watched that 70's holiday thing last night. It was okish as long as you don't expect too much. Watchable but basically cheap telly we thought , nothing in any real depth , clips from old adverts and Carry On films and we thought it could have been much better...
dewaltdisney

Worth a watch

Post by dewaltdisney »

Yes, s lot of filler around limited old films. Could have done it in half an hour without the added chumps

DWD
Grendel

Worth a watch

Post by Grendel »

We'll probably still watch it though.
dewaltdisney

Worth a watch

Post by dewaltdisney »

As I mentioned I have been enjoying Loudermilk on Netflix. This bit made me laugh https://www.youtube.com/shorts/Lg33gbWsDds

DWD
dewaltdisney

Worth a watch

Post by dewaltdisney »

We watched the second episode of Clarkson's Farm. I really laughed at some points and whatever you think they do work at it. The pigs part is funny. The thing that struck me was a new scheme he is trying where wheat and beans are sown together for a mixed crop. The beans naturally pump nitrogen into the ground and this helps the wheat to grow without the need for expensive fertilizer. When harvested the mixed crop then gets separated and sold. The lower wheat yield is mitigated by the sale of the beans and non use of expensive fertilizers. The soil is also much healthier and will strengthen over a few years back to 1960s levels. Farmers were still doing crop rotation in those days with wheat, sugar beet, beans, and clover on a 4 year rotation. This died back to continual wheat and fertilizer cycles year after year which will ruin the soil.

Clarkson has more to highlight the issues of farming than anyone. On Amazon.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Tom d'Angler (Sun May 26, 2024 8:20 am)
Rating: 7.14%
wine~o

Worth a watch

Post by wine~o »

The new Dr. Who has started off well, whatever the actor is called he doesn't play up to his sexual preference, just plays the part well. the scriptwriting/show running was also back to it's best.

Incoming from DWD :lol: :lol: :lol:
These users thanked the author wine~o for the post:
dewaltdisney (Mon May 13, 2024 7:06 am)
Rating: 7.14%
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
dewaltdisney

Worth a watch

Post by dewaltdisney »

I know you enjoy Doctor Who W and it would be churlish of me to go on about it. I understand that it is not as woke as expected but I doubt I will find out for myself. Bring back Tom Baker I say. :lol:

DWD
dewaltdisney

Worth a watch

Post by dewaltdisney »

We watched the latest episode of the comedy Red Eye last night, this pap is so bad it's good. In the true tradition of the Boys Own and Saturday morning pictures the story does not let reality get in the way of a clunking preposterous story. Add to that poor casting of unbelievable characters played by poor actors and you have a series that should win a comedy award.

DWD
dewaltdisney

Worth a watch

Post by dewaltdisney »

The Old Man on Disney+ is an example of exactly the opposite of Redeye. The script is superb, the dialogue has some really poignant moments and the acting is so good with Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow showing how it should be done. I am up to episode 7 and resisting the urge to binge watch.

DWD
dewaltdisney

Worth a watch

Post by dewaltdisney »

I did not realise it but episode 7 of The Old Man was the last, and it leaves you on a cliffhanger. I checked and series 2 has been given the go ahead but it had been held up by the US writers' strike. Bloody typical. Having said that it has been an excellent series.

DWD
Grendel

Worth a watch

Post by Grendel »

Got round to watching the documentary dwd mentioned , Why Buildings Collapse. Despite the title sounding like something that Homer Simpson would laugh his way through I agree it was a decent programme to watch. Perhaps a little bit worrying considering the numbers of old buildings there are although saying that when in restoration the question "how is this still standing " was posed on numerous occasions with an "answer" of "just got used to being there...."
oz0707

Worth a watch

Post by oz0707 »

Did you finish Clarkson farm dwd? Seems the mixed field didnt quite live up to the hype
dewaltdisney

Worth a watch

Post by dewaltdisney »

No, not yet we are resisting the binge and watching one a week. I so enjoy it, it is such good viewing. I did wonder about the dual planting as the strains of wheat grown these days have a much shorter stem than the stuff grown in the past. I recall the long stems would suffer from flattening by wind and rain and once down flocks of birds would eat the ears. These short wheat stems may not fair well against the height of the beans which are taller and the lack of light might inhibit the wheat's growth. I shall wait and see and come back to you.

DWD

Return to “The Lounge”