Howard Bulldog restoration.

This is where you can post pictures of work that you have done. Tradesmen and DIY pictures are all welcome. Please only post pictures of work that you have done personally. Thanks

Moderator: Moderators

Retired

Post by Retired »

Hi,

Thanks big-all; a nice compliment; I'm a fan of the late Fred Dibnah; pity there aren't more like him around these days.
7 Feb 2024_0004.JPG
7 Feb 2024_0004.JPG (259.21 KiB) Viewed 1679 times
Rotavating completed. Here the wheels are being cleared of soil; it was a bit too wet hence I had to stop occasionally to clear the wheels of sticking soil using a screwdriver but the Howard now 70 years old has done a brilliant job saving hours of digging and back ache.
7 Feb 2024_0003.JPG
7 Feb 2024_0003.JPG (295.54 KiB) Viewed 1679 times
The Howard weighs around 75kg plus fuel and takes a great deal of effort to use it on the steep slope; after rotavating I raked the grass path clear; the whole job took about an hour and a quarter including cleaning the rotavator and wellies before putting them away.
7 Feb 2024_0001.JPG
7 Feb 2024_0001.JPG (286.72 KiB) Viewed 1679 times
Rotavating under way.

I'm delighted the way this Howard Bulldog has turned out; if only the garden was level it would be a real pleasure rotavating; the four new tines are excellent and these haven't clogged up once during use. All in all a success story. Walkers along the lane kept stopping to have a look and give a friendly wave.

Every season whilst the wildflowers are in full bloom and I'm at the top of the garden many walkers along the adjacent lane stop to have a natter saying how beautiful the flowers are and the breathtaking panoramic view right across the valley; I removed our huge hedge five years ago opening up the view for all to see. Our neighbour's the other side of the lane tell me lots of these walkers stop and take images on their mobile phone.

I've used two modern petrol rotavators but this Howard is the only one that is genuinely self propelled which makes a huge difference; I used to feel worn out just dragging the other rotavators to the top of the mountain having to wait a few minutes to get my breath back before starting to rotavate.

Kind regards, Colin.
SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

Fantastic job Col.
These users thanked the author wine~o for the post:
Retired (Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:56 pm)
Rating: 7.14%
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
Retired

Post by Retired »

Hi,

Many thanks wine~o much appreciated. A bit of good news regarding Bron having Parkinson's Disease. Bron was on tablets for a few weeks taking one tablet three times daily but without the slightest bit of difference. A couple of weeks ago the tablets were increased to two tablets three times daily; absolutely amazing; Bron no longer knows she has Parkinson's apart from taking the tablets; the shaking has completely stopped much to our delight. :huray:

Kind regards, Col.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I am pleased to hear that good news that must be a load off your mind. Best wishes to Bron.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Retired (Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:09 pm)
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

Retired, You had mentioned that Bronwyn wasn't well, but no more specific than that (to me anyway)

I'm so glad she has some relief from her symptoms.

best wishes to you both.
Retired (Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:09 pm)
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

Retired

Post by Retired »

Hi,

Many thanks DWD & wine~o for your kindness; yes indeed a bit of good news for a change. We've been visiting four hospitals regarding Bron being ill for many months. Scans and all kinds of tests; the NHS staff and our surgery staff are absolutely wonderful. In appreciation of what they do for Bron we always take along boxes of chocolates as a thank you; we feel they are so often taken for granted.

Early this morning looking up our mountain it was just another miserable cold start to the day typical of our Yorkshire climate. After overnight rain it wasn't raining as I looked out so I decided to have a go at rotavating our middle meadow; the garden is so steep water quickly runs off even the soil was so wet after many weeks of heavy rain and 2" deep snow a few days ago. I fueled the Howard Bulldog adding lead additive to the petrol; I was well wrapped up in my heavy "site" coat and gloves also with ear protection I got cracking. Half way through rotavating of course it started to rain; I told the rain to go away and amazingly it did allowing me not only to complete rotavating but also raking then broadcasting the new wildflower seeds.

I had to keep stopping to clear sticking soil from the metal wheels using an old screwdriver; all the while the rotavator was fighting me wanting an easier life in the valley bottom. Rotavating was done uphill with wheel drive and tines engaged; at the top the rotavator was put in neutral allowing it to freewheel back down; freewheeling back down could be highly dangerous in case the rotavator got away from me and run me over so I had to exercise great caution; it was incredibly hard work but not as hard as when I dug all three meadows over twice each using a garden spade.

The Howard is a joy to own and use; at 70 years old it still does a brilliant job; on a level garden or allotment it would come into it's own but even using it on our steep garden saved so much time and effort compared to digging; I can highly recommend any fully working Howard rotavator; they can't be beaten; they must be delightful when brand new from the factory;
13 Feb 2024_0001.JPG
13 Feb 2024_0001.JPG (278.29 KiB) Viewed 1614 times
Here's the middle meadow I rotavated this morning; just the grass paths now to tidy.
13 Feb 2024_0002.JPG
13 Feb 2024_0002.JPG (268.41 KiB) Viewed 1614 times
Here are both the middle & side wildflower meadows now fully seeded; the top meadow is out of site that too is fully seeded. I can forget the meadows now until Autumn when the first frosts arrive. Two years ago there were huge trees all over the rear garden; these meadows have been hard won.

Perhaps I'll now spend some quality time in the studio learning to play my violins and learning to use my recording gear; Bron's spoiled me rotten; four violins; lots of recording gear and a nice heated well lit studio to play in. I can relax now Bron is feeling a bit better; I've also been learning to bake more cakes and buns; pancakes are easy. I like to keep very active. :huray:

Kind regards, Col.
Retired

Post by Retired »

Hi,

I'm finding using the Howard to be addictive. To the left of our rear garden it was looking untidy with lots of weeds enjoying their freedom; it's always a pain trying to remain upright on the slope whilst using a hoe. Now I've got a better solution; go over with the Howard between the shrubs and open area.

15 Feb 2024_0003.JPG
15 Feb 2024_0003.JPG (270.92 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
After rotavating and raking.
15 Feb 2024_0002.JPG
15 Feb 2024_0002.JPG (269.6 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
More rotavating and raking.
15 Feb 2024_0001.JPG
15 Feb 2024_0001.JPG (293.68 KiB) Viewed 1578 times
This is what it looked like.

The soil was wet of course and the rotavator took some handling on the steep slope but the whole job was done in 30 minutes; as I finished raking down came the rain; well I do live in Yorkshire which spends a lot of time under water; today and tomorrow we're in for more heavy rain.

Lots of weeds were injured or killed during the making of the pictures. :huray:

Kind regards, Colin.
Retired

Post by Retired »

Hi,

At last the rain let up for 30 minutes a couple of days ago allowing me to finish the job by strimming the grass edges;
20 Feb 2024_0011.JPG
20 Feb 2024_0011.JPG (280.67 KiB) Viewed 1537 times
The strimming just tidies it up making it look neater.
20 Feb 2024_0008.JPG
20 Feb 2024_0008.JPG (275.49 KiB) Viewed 1537 times
It seems to have taken forever to get the garden looking like this but in fact it's only taken 36 years.

I've cleaned the rotavator and put it away; ideally I'd like to spray it with oil for protection but will the rain ever let up for long enough. Sleet forecast for tomorrow but it makes a change from the rain. ::b

Kind regards, Colin.
stevei

Post by stevei »

Many moons ago I was working in a market garden rotavating some beds in the greenhouses with a Howard. The owner's son wanted a go. I warned him about the hard ground on the paths but he can't have understood. As you know, the tines rotate faster than the wheels, and when the tines hit the hard ground at the end of the bed, the machine took off, stright through the side of the greenhouse. Made a bit of a mess but at least he had the sense to let go.
These users thanked the author stevei for the post:
Retired (Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:46 pm)
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

Retired, Crikey, I know you said it was on a slope but that is virtually a mountainside...
Retired (Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:46 pm)
Verwood Handyman

Retired

Post by Retired »

Hi,

What a story stevei; thanks for sharing it. I bet he didn't do an action replay. I confess I got caught out with my Howard; I'd rotavated uphill and wondered if it would still work OK rotavating downhill after all the wheels are geared to the engine so should control it's descent? Well yes but not when the new handlebar grips let go; fortunately my embarrassment was short lived; the rotavator tipped onto it's side and stopped. The controls are somewhat awkward too to use on the steep slope whilst trying to keep control; when I power drive it up the ramp into the garden hut I have to be very careful not to run it into the far wall; I've been thinking about rigging up handlebar controls such as those levers used on clutch and front brake on motorcycles but I can't swim which I need every time I want to go into the garden due to the heavy rain.

Many thanks wine~o; yes I often call our rear garden our mountain; I go up and down it now aged 76 like a mountain goat and have often dragged petrol rotavators and mowers to the top. Four years ago we had new neighbours move in next door; the wife told me our garden isn't as steep as her garden; this was until I invited her to the top; it quickly changed her mind when I briskly walked up leaving her half way down. It's been suggested a few times I should not have removed all the trees because there could be a landslip; once the wildflowers root they should prevent this. Please see the first picture in the last post I added; there's a garden hut next door; look how high it is above our garden hut and the incline of the supporting wall. I've felled and carried tons of heavy logs down the garden and all the way down to our driveway; it's hard heavy work but it's never bothered me; aged 15 I was working down a deep coal mine so am used to heavy work; how many guys aged 76 still climb big trees.
Creating meadows_0004.JPG
Creating meadows_0004.JPG (270.76 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
Some of the trees.
Creating meadows_0003_01.JPG
Creating meadows_0003_01.JPG (272.56 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
More trees.
Creating meadows_0003.JPG
Creating meadows_0003.JPG (284.55 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
Oak tree.
Creating meadows_0002.JPG
Creating meadows_0002.JPG (261.84 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
Laurel stump
Creating meadows_0001_01.JPG
Creating meadows_0001_01.JPG (218.31 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
Logs.
Creating meadows_0001.JPG
Creating meadows_0001.JPG (225.31 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
Top hedge.

During the last two years Ive removed 17 huge trees working entirely on my own. Heights between 50' & 70'. All logged and the logs carried all the way down to our driveway sometimes working in sleet and bitter cold. Last August I removed the huge oak tree which towered over our bungalow this was incredibly heavy taking two weeks because I had to double rope the branches over the bungalow one by one in order to control their descent whilst I cut them into sections I could lift.

We had a huge 60' long hedge to the top of the mountain; I cleared this entirely including stumps and roots; one of the stumps seen above; the hedge was mostly cherry laurel and about 30' high when I started to lower it then finally remove it; five very hard days work just to get one massive laurel stump ball out but it must have weighed at least a ton.

Other pictures show what it was like before tree clearing. In order to rotavate the middle of the garden I had to remove eight very large stumps together with all their many roots then use a garden spade to manually dig the area over.

Many walkers along the lane adjacent to our mountain top have stopped to compliment my work and to take mobile phone images of the panoramic view I opened up across the valley; also when the wildflower meadows are in full bloom; they look stunning.

I've rambled on enough but rotavating has only been one of the heavy jobs. It's been worth it though; the trees won't trouble me any longer due to storm damage and possibly this will be the first year of lighter maintenance on our mountain. All this work isn't hurting me; yes it tires me out some days working myself to a standstill but I'm fit because of it.

Kind regards, Col.
Retired

Post by Retired »

Hi,

Two problems. The first is rubbish Howard Orange paint.
Howard paint_0001.JPG
Howard paint_0001.JPG (148.29 KiB) Viewed 1150 times
I didn't expect the paint to bubble up and be removed with petrol; what a disappointment after the hours I put in painting.

The second problem is a lot more serious; rotavating across our steep garden has always been difficult but a few days ago I lost control and the rotavator pulled me over to the ground at the end of a pass as I tried to turn it around; it wasn't funny the first time but then it happened a second time; only my ego was damaged but I could have really got hurt ending up in A&E; however the rotavator didn't escape so easily; as it fell heavily on its side it completely snapped off the silencer so job over for the day but I'd completed the rotavating going across the slope. The new silencer is now with me and the carburetor needle valve needs replacing but I also have a new valve; not big jobs but finding the time is difficult.

Later that evening I welded a repair to the silencer and the following day I was rotavating once again but this time rotavating uphill and freewheeling back down for each pass. It's the control arrangement causing the danger for me; I have to remove my right hand from the handlebar in order to disengage the drive hence on the steep slope lose control. I've considered selling the rotavator but I don't want to after putting in so much time and effort restoring it. I'm super busy at the moment converting our bathroom from bath to walk in shower but when I break free from all these jobs I'd like to have a go at rigging up linkages either rod or cable adding levers to the handlebars.

I've now completed rotavating and have raked over; new wildflower seeds are broadcast; the first wildflower seeds drowned; hopefully these can swim?

Got to go; I'm busy but I'll update in due course.

Kind regards, Col.
Retired

Post by Retired »

Hi,

Yesterday afternoon I had a session attacking weeds and where everything was overgrown; things are growing as fast as Triffids given the huge amounts of rain then at times rare hot sun.

Weeding_0002.JPG
Weeding_0002.JPG (292.94 KiB) Viewed 1102 times
Weeding_0001.JPG
Weeding_0001.JPG (279.6 KiB) Viewed 1102 times

First job was strimming then go over with the Howard to give the weeds a bad time; hopefully this will slow them down a bit allowing me to get on with more jobs.
Howard controls.JPG
Howard controls.JPG (224.05 KiB) Viewed 1102 times

Browsing eBay I came across a larger Howard for sale and what caught my attention was its controls; these are exactly what I want to convert my Howard to; all I really need to do is rig up an handlebar lever to the engine lifter which if works will be a huge help in controlling my Howard Bulldog meaning I can stop the engine drive without removing an hand from the handlebars. I simply don't have the time at the moment to play around but eventually I'll get around to it.

Kind regards, Col.
Corky61
Newly registered Member

Post by Corky61 »

Well done Colin, enjoyed reading this, hope Bron is doing better 👍
These users thanked the author Corky61 for the post:
Retired (Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:28 am)
Retired

Post by Retired »

Hi,

Many thanks Corky61 for your kind wishes regarding Bron. Bron's slowly getting worse; on top of her other health problems like Parkinson's she now has a great deal of pain in her knee which splays out side ways; I think it's going to be a knee replacement; she sees the specialist on the 14th of this month and it can't come quick enough for her. It's heartbreaking to watch the one you love in so much pain.

I'm still working on the rounded end bathroom vanity unit which is really tormenting me fighting me at every opportunity; we've never made as many mistakes or wasted as much material but I'm winning. This hopefully will be posted as another thread in due course when I complete the bathroom makeover; I also want to rearrange the Howard controls to make rotavating safer on our steep garden. So much to do and so little time; perhaps I should return to full time work then I might have more time to call my own? 23 years into retirement and so far not a minute to spare.

Breakfast time then resume hostilities with the vanity unit.

Kind regards, Col.

Return to “Show Case Gallery”