Worth a watch

This forum is for topics or posts that do not fit into any other forum, this includes online games such as word Association etc.

Moderator: Moderators

dewaltdisney

Worth a watch

Post by dewaltdisney »

Another Youtube old film last night My House in Umbria. This 2003 film is a wonderful story with Maggie Smith, Timothy Spall, and Ronnie Barker in a serious role. It is so much better than much of the pap trotted out these days.

DWD
dewaltdisney

Worth a watch

Post by dewaltdisney »

A great Film on Netflix is Wicked Little Letters which is based on a true story. Set in 1920 Littlehampton it is the story of poison pen letters. The swearing used is very funny and apart from the absurd tick-box characters plugged into the cast which is not historically correct or believable, the film works really well and is definitely one to watch.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Tom d'Angler (Sun Aug 04, 2024 11:13 am)
Rating: 7.14%
dewaltdisney

Worth a watch

Post by dewaltdisney »

We watched another YouTube film From Time to Time written by Julian Fellowes. This 2010 film set in late 1944 home front is a charming story that is a bit surreal. Starring at least four of the Downton actors it was enjoyable if you ignore the unlikely wokeism, it was around in 2010, that adds to the fantasy. Ignoring that, it was a good watch.

DWD
dewaltdisney

Worth a watch

Post by dewaltdisney »

YouTube seems awash with Jason Statham films. They are all a bit formulaic but none the less a good watch. I watched his 2013 film Parker that has some good moments but I skidded over some irrelevant sections that were dull. In the main it is worth a watch as it is infinitely better than any tripe on broadcast channels.

DWD
dewaltdisney

Worth a watch

Post by dewaltdisney »

I was reading that an old 2011 film called Source Code was trending on Netflix. A strange mix of Sci-Fi but it works. We watched it tonight it is a brilliant film, a good story and very unusual. It was directed by David Bowie's son who changed his name from Zowie Bowie to Duncan Jones, a good move. Definitely worth a watch

DWD
dewaltdisney

Worth a watch

Post by dewaltdisney »

We watched a great film on Netflix called The Union. Starring Mark Wahlberg and Halle Berry it is a secret agent thing with all the right ingredients for an action movie. Okay it is all escapist tosh but it rolls along at a pace, it is set in different World locations with great action sequences. It has some amusing bits too. It's well worth a watch.

DWD
Grendel

Worth a watch

Post by Grendel »

I thought it had been mentioned either in this or the other threads but if it was I can’t find it but the other day mrsG and myself watched Mammoth . It’s only three half hour programs but we enjoyed it and though the humour was fine. It’s probably on bbc iplayer but the basic plot is a teacher from 1979 is frozen in an avalanche and is woken up in 2024. He goes back to teaching at his old school and also meets up with still living friends but of course finds an awful lot has changed…
dewaltdisney

Worth a watch

Post by dewaltdisney »

Try that Netflix Source Code film above G I think it the sort of sci-fi you like.

DWD
Grendel

Worth a watch

Post by Grendel »

Well we watched it last night. There were some bits that didn’t seem to make sense, wife said she didn’t really get the ending and I had a feeling I’d seen the plot used somewhere else but couldn’t put my finger on it but overall it was ok . Sort of a body swopping Groundhog Day but watchable nonetheless. My main gripe isn’t with the film but with the way Netflix cuts off the credits at the end. I find that irritating and disrespectful.
On the subject of the whole swopping bodies scenario I remember watching Farscape some years ago although it’s being repeated now where they had such a episode . Two of the main characters Crichton (male) and Erin ( female) swop . And the first thing they do ? Go and look at themselves in the mirror. There’s a scene where Crichton in Erin’s body is looking at himself and caressing that body when Erin inCrichton’s body walks in and says “ yeah , already done that”…
dewaltdisney

Worth a watch

Post by dewaltdisney »

Yes, I thought it was a Groundhog Day reworking too. I do not usually like Sci-fi, but I found Open Source a good view generally, but preposterous as well. We have been struggling to find things of interest lately.

DWD
Grendel

Worth a watch

Post by Grendel »

Sci-fi is a bit of a strange one at times. I don’t tend to like it all , by and large there has to be a bit of reality in it for me. While something like Star Wars was watchable I never felt it was great and to be honest while I haven’t watched all of the recent ones I felt they were poor. And I recently had a conversation with a Star Trek fan in which I said that it’s more distopian than sci-fi which he couldn’t grasp.
I have found myself watching Space Patrol on Talking Pictures, it’s a puppet show from 1963 . Some things are pure fantasy such as practically every planet in our solar system having intelligent life but others such as going into the freezer for long journeys makes more sense. They are also showing Fireball XL5 and Captain Scarlet the later being a favourite from my youth.
dewaltdisney

Worth a watch

Post by dewaltdisney »

I remember Space Patrol with Larry Dart, Husky, and Slim. The power unit was Gavastron or something, Gamma rays on Yoga rays on. Every alien planet only had two aliens to allow for conversation. There was a daft bird called a Gabbladictum I recall. I never really went beyond the William Shatner Star Trek series on TV, which I enjoyed. I saw the first Star Wars film at the cinema and enjoyed it but I never bothered with the sequels. I liked all the early Gerry Anderson series, Four Feather falls and Supercar.

DWD
Grendel

Worth a watch

Post by Grendel »

Space patrol was a new one on me . I’d not heard of it as far as I can remember until it came on TPTV . To be fair I can’t remember Fireball either but then they both date from the same year that I was born…
dewaltdisney

Worth a watch

Post by dewaltdisney »

Mrs D inflicted a recording of the first episode of the new series of Who Do You Think You Are on me last night. I became very disinterested in this once-good series after the dead hand of Woke descended on it. It was Vicky McClure who was the subject and in person, she is a much nicer and more endearing person than how she comes across in the often crappy series she is in. Apart from some pious t*at saying that Nips was a derogatory name for the Japs, not used now, it was mainly quite well done. However, even Mrs D has said she is not watching tonight's episode as it is about that awful talentless idiot Paddy McGuiness. I cannot stand the goon.

DWD
Grendel

Worth a watch

Post by Grendel »

dewaltdisney wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 7:12 am Apart from some pious t*at saying that Nips was a derogatory name for the Japs, not used now,

DWD
Sorry to tell you this dwd the use of the term Japs is also considered derogatory in certain circles these days…

Return to “The Lounge”