Refitting a tile back into position

Tiling questions and answers in here please

Moderator: Moderators

Audiotechnical
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by Audiotechnical »

I've successfully fixed a leak which was part of a concealed cistern system, but the access to this leak meant I had no choice but to remove an entire large porcelain tile. I'm now at the stage of fitting the tile back into place, however this isn't a straight forward job as far as I can see. The push button panel connects with this tile, which I imagine could be a tricky one to deal with, as there will be force regularly placed on this tile (well, half of it/some of it!)

Moving forward, I'd like to make this particular tile removable, so any future leaks I can get to the hidden cistern system. Please could I hear any recommendations on how I might be able to achieve this. You'll see from the pics, that the plasterboard is still stuck to the back of the tile (of which I can remove if needed).

Thanks in advance.
IMG_9900.jpeg
IMG_9900.jpeg (236.45 KiB) Viewed 794 times
IMG_9901.jpeg
IMG_9901.jpeg (249.99 KiB) Viewed 794 times
IMG_9902.jpeg
IMG_9902.jpeg (229.82 KiB) Viewed 794 times
IMG_9903.jpeg
IMG_9903.jpeg (196.36 KiB) Viewed 794 times
IMG_9904.jpeg
IMG_9904.jpeg (257.34 KiB) Viewed 794 times
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I would approach this by stripping the plasterboard off the tile and soaking the tile in a bucket overnight to loosen the old adhesive. I would then get a piece of 12mm ply and firstly cut this to match the tile before fixing it using silicone to the board. You have now created a removable cover so now you have to figure out a way to hold it in place on the two studs. Depending on the push button plate hole size you will have for access you would need some easily accessible fittings that would hold the panel but be easily removed when access is needed. When fitted you could rub a thin layer of grout to complete the look which would break away on the panel removal. This worked perfectly in my head :lol:

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Audiotechnical (Sun Aug 25, 2024 10:34 am)
Rating: 7.14%
Audiotechnical
Newly registered Member

Post by Audiotechnical »

Thanks for that suggestion. A great start for me to consider. Defo a lot of 'cleaning up' I can get started on.

I'm thinking about some sort of cabinet latches/catches fitted to the side of the studs. Obviously this will not hold the weight vertically, so I'd need to keep that in mind, and have some kind of spacers underneath to keep it supported and in place. Additionally the catches cannot be 'push to open' types. Also getting them perfectly positioned could be tricky!

Thanks again though
London mike 61

Post by London mike 61 »

If it were me , I would use magnets.
You can get a variety of magnets from first4magnets which I have used in the past. Do not underestimate the holding power of these magnets , they are more than up to the job of holding a large heavy panel in place. You may need to buy a couple of suction cup type devices to remove the panel when needed but that is a minor issue.

Mike
These users thanked the author London mike 61 for the post:
Audiotechnical (Sun Aug 25, 2024 12:45 pm)
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!
Audiotechnical
Newly registered Member

Post by Audiotechnical »

Cheers Mike. I've actually just ordered a bunch of cabinet magnets (pack of 10) to try that out. Maybe they won't be strong enough, without using 5 or 6, so maybe a couple of stronger magnets as you suggest may be a good option.
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I used Velcro on a panel once but it was really tough to pull off. Magnets are a good idea but I would look at putting some demountable joint blocks see https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/113545912214 ... 3vN50D5A33 Fit two along the inside bottom edge which you would use just as a push fit without the screws. These would allow a degree of forward movement to allow you to tip forward, lift up and off. You might have to fettle the pegs to facilitate the ease of movement. Just an idea, I am sure there are many ways to do the same thing.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Audiotechnical (Wed Sep 18, 2024 1:55 pm)
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

If you are happy to live with a visible capped screw I would drill two holes, screw the tile onto the studs, cap the screw to make it look neat and then "grout" using a colour matched silicone.

In future if you need access you just need to cut the silicone and remove the screws.
These users thanked the author Rorschach for the post:
Audiotechnical (Wed Sep 18, 2024 1:55 pm)
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

I’d go with Rorschach’s method . It might not look quite as invisible but to a degree that’s an advantage. The unseen magnets, clips or Velcro is fine if you’re the one who is always going to be taking it off in the future but if the job falls to someone who knows nothing of this then it could easily end up damaged.
These users thanked the author Grendel for the post:
Rorschach (Thu Oct 03, 2024 8:45 am)
Argyll

Post by Argyll »

Audiotechnical wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 12:47 pm Cheers Mike. I've actually just ordered a bunch of cabinet magnets (pack of 10) to try that out. Maybe they won't be strong enough, without using 5 or 6, so maybe a couple of stronger magnets as you suggest may be a good option.
I think Mike was referring to neodymium otherwise known as earth magnets. Cabinet magnets won't be strong enough.
These users thanked the author Argyll for the post:
London mike 61 (Wed Oct 02, 2024 3:20 pm)
Rorschach

Post by Rorschach »

Grendel wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2024 7:34 am I’d go with Rorschach’s method . It might not look quite as invisible but to a degree that’s an advantage. The unseen magnets, clips or Velcro is fine if you’re the one who is always going to be taking it off in the future but if the job falls to someone who knows nothing of this then it could easily end up damaged.
I have been in that exact position before. A builder made a panel easily removable for maintenance in my Sisters kitchen. Sadly though it was done with hidden fixings and we didn't find out until we started cutting the panel and it fell off. Luckily we were able to hide the cut and make it look good until the kitchen was replaced a few years later.
A neat but visible fixing is often much more practical than a beautifully hidden fixing that no one knows is there until it's too late.

Return to “Tiling Forum”