Welding a dining room chair

Metalworking questions in this section please

Moderator: Moderators

Quizzer123
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by Quizzer123 »

I have a dining chair that needs repairing, the welded joint has broken. I have a picture of the chair but not the broken joint unfortunately.
My questions are, firstly can it be repaired? And where could I get it done and any ideas on cost?

Thanks for any help
Quizzer
Attachments
Chair.png
Chair.png (1.3 MiB) Viewed 779 times
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

I am not a welder but I think the issue would be the finish. I think the frame is welded first and then the whole is plated. The plating is a contaminant for any further welding and the weld would fail without grinding back to the base metal first. So the problem would be restoring plating to the area. Yes it can be done but the costs would make it uneconomic to repair in my opinion.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Quizzer123 (Wed Jul 17, 2024 8:05 am)
Rating: 7.14%
Quizzer123
Newly registered Member

Post by Quizzer123 »

dewaltdisney wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 6:09 am I am not a welder but I think the issue would be the finish. I think the frame is welded first and then the whole is plated. The plating is a contaminant for any further welding and the weld would fail without grinding back to the base metal first. So the problem would be restoring plating to the area. Yes it can be done but the costs would make it uneconomic to repair in my opinion.

DWD
Thanks, unless I can find a chair that matches the others I'd have to buy 4 more chairs
dewaltdisney

Post by dewaltdisney »

Hmm, I see your dilemma, perhaps an insert and car panel bond might work. Glues are very strong these days. It depends on the weld fracture. Take a picture of the crack, it might present other repair options.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
Quizzer123 (Thu Jul 18, 2024 3:18 am)
Rating: 7.14%
Quizzer123
Newly registered Member

Post by Quizzer123 »

Thanks for the replies. I'll contact my tenant and ask for a photo and post it here. Perhaps there's another solution.
Cheers
Quizzer
Retired

Post by Retired »

Hi,

If it's plated mild steel an arc or mig welder will easily sort it out but if stainless steel then a Tig welder is the way to go. Any local engineering company could do this repair without it costing much; you could always spray the chairs if the weld looks unsightly. You'd need to remove the cushion material. Stainless steel will buff up without problem. Ask around locally. Good luck.

Kind regards, Col.
SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.
bourbon
Newly registered Member

Post by bourbon »

common failure point that joint. It's where all the force first hits when someone sits down. Not helped when people balance on the rear legs. I've done a couple for the repair café I volunteer at. Never been able to replicate the finish as I don't want to spend much time on them. Th metal is THIN so needs a very low OCV mig welder to do it. Or Tig, But that's a dark art to me. As has been said, The cushion needs to come off and the plating needs grinding off to enable a decent weld. Good luck with it

Return to “Metalworking Forum”