Condensate Waste Pipe

Questions about central heating and boiler questions in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

rautospoon

Condensate Waste Pipe

Post by rautospoon »

Thanks for all the replies.
Will probably use Armaflex HT.
I have been amazed to discover that a number of my neighbours have no insulation on their external condensate pipes (and say they have never frozen) and also that many CH firms say there is no need for insulation on a 32mm pipe.
To my mind it is always better to be "safe rather than sorry" and "an ounce of preparation is worth a pound of cure" !!
dewaltdisney

Condensate Waste Pipe

Post by dewaltdisney »

The problems come in when outside temperatures stay below zero for a few days. With a verticle drop the condensate flow, which is quite sporadic depending on the boiler cycles, has a chance to fall down the external pipe to below ground level before there is any chance of freezing as it still has a bit of warmth on the way down the pipe. In an installation with a more horizontal pipe, if uninsulated the condensate may freeze in layers until the pipe blocks and causes a boiler lockout. That is why insulation on horizontal pipes is more important. I have an insulated horizontal pipe plus I have the boiler buoy as backup. Someone Else has the heated thermal protection strip which works equally well with the same horizontal pipe. You will probably be okay but the Aramaflex is belt and braces.

DWD
These users thanked the author dewaltdisney for the post:
rautospoon (Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:49 am)
Rating: 7.14%

Return to “Central Heating & Boilers”