Converting a storage heater socket to a standard plug socket

All your electrical questions regarding electrics from within the United Kingdom

Moderator: Moderators

Beachcomber

Converting a storage heater socket to a standard plug socket

Post by Beachcomber »

I want to swap a storage heater socket over to a standard plug socket - are there any potential problems with doing this or is it a pretty straight forward swap job?

Thanks.
outnabout
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by outnabout »

The fuse rating and Cross sectional area of cable of the circuit are you first concerns.
It could be a straight swap.
Razor

Post by Razor »

Are you sure the sockets not on an economy 7 timer?
Beachcomber

Post by Beachcomber »

outnabout wrote:The fuse rating and Cross sectional area of cable of the circuit are you first concerns.
It could be a straight swap.
I'd thought about the fuse rating but what do you mean by 'cross sectional area of cable'?

The socket isn't linked to a timer as far as I know.
lamntile

Post by lamntile »

If its on an E7 circuit for storage heaters there should be a timer you may find your socket is only working at certain times ::b
Paul
Beachcomber

Post by Beachcomber »

lamntile wrote:If its on an E7 circuit for storage heaters there should be a timer you may find your socket is only working at certain times ::b
Hmmm, given me an idea.

Can I put the telly socket on a timer so it cuts off every time Eastenders comes on! :boxing:
outnabout

Post by outnabout »

Beachcomber wrote:
I'd thought about the fuse rating but what do you mean by 'cross sectional area of cable'?
The CSA is how we measure cables and can work out what currunt the cable can carry safely. ie when you buy cable you'll come across 1.00, 1.5, 2.5, 4.00mm2 etc..........
This is the cross sectional area (CSA) of the cable, sometimes it is visable on the cable.

Like to thinking behind the timed plug, I could do with one for any time Bruce Forshyte I mean Forsyth come on. :thumbright:
outnabout

Post by outnabout »

outnabout wrote:
Beachcomber wrote:
The CSA is how we measure cables and can work out what current the cable can carry safely. ie when you buy cable you'll come across 1.00, 1.5, 2.5, 4.00mm2 etc..........
This is the cross sectional area (CSA) of the cable, sometimes it is visable on the cable.

Like to thinking behind the timed plug, I could do with one for any time Bruce Forshyte I mean Forsyth comes on. :thumbright:
thescruff

Post by thescruff »

Beachcomber wrote:
lamntile wrote:If its on an E7 circuit for storage heaters there should be a timer you may find your socket is only working at certain times ::b
Hmmm, given me an idea.

Can I put the telly socket on a timer so it cuts off every time Eastenders comes on! :boxing:
Eastenders or swmbo and the kids on your case :roll:
Beachcomber

Post by Beachcomber »

outnabout wrote:
The CSA is how we measure cables and can work out what currunt the cable can carry safely. ie when you buy cable you'll come across 1.00, 1.5, 2.5, 4.00mm2 etc..........

Like to thinking behind the timed plug, I could do with one for any time Bruce Forshyte I mean Forsyth come on. :thumbright:
Ah right you are - lost me on the posh termanology - we keep fings simple dewn 'ere rooooight!

Return to “Electric Forum UK”