Which builders merchant is cheapest for trade?

All building related posts in this forum please

Moderator: Moderators

Chappy

Which builders merchant is cheapest for trade?

Post by Chappy »

I get 90% of my stuff from a local merchants which is run by the 'Jesus Army' - all the staff work for free (well, for Jesus!) and get given accommodation and everything they need, so they don't need wages. This makes their prices very competitive.
This means that Travis Perkins nearby cannot compete on most stuff and also don't hold much stock, so I hardly ever go there or look anywhere else.
However, I was in Wickes the other day and was quite suprised to see how low their prices are on some things, even considering my trade discount at the Jesus place.
Trouble is my nearest Wickes is 9 miles away, wheras Jesus is only 4 miles, so time constraints and extra diesel etc means Jesus gets my money.
Who do you find cheapest?
steviejoiner74

Re: Which builders merchant is cheapest for trade?

Post by steviejoiner74 »

Travis Perkins are a no go for me,way way too expensive. They areas where most of our work is has 3/4 merchants competing for business with 2 being 100 yards from each other so it's easy to bounce prices off each other. The 3 merchants are mkm,MGM and jewsons. Travis Perkins are a bit further afield from the other 3 but can't compete pricewise. All offer free delivery and the discount given is dependant really on the volume you buy and how loyal you are.
Carpentry,I can explain it to you but I cannot understand it for you.
Wes
Wood Flooring Installer

Post by Wes »

Out of interest, when you shop with Jesus, do you only have to buy one slate which does the entire roof :lol:
joinerjohn

Post by joinerjohn »

Wes wrote:Out of interest, when you shop with Jesus, do you only have to buy one slate which does the entire roof :lol:
I thought he bought 5 loaves and two fishes. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
big-all
Pro Carpenter

Post by big-all »

there is nothing wrong with travis ------

----------if you get a 75-80% discount

travis charge 2 or 3x the correct price so a 75% discount is a 25-40% discount
we are all ------------------still learning
Chris Skilbeck

Post by Chris Skilbeck »

I use Trav Perks for a lot of stuff, there's only them and Jewsons in my nearest town, and TP are invariably a bit cheaper on most heavier materials, especially with the generous trade discounts as big-all mentioned, and the monthly credit account which means I don't need to ask customers for a deposit for materials. For sawn timber I use a local timber-yard which is a bit more expensive but far higher quality, and for power-tools I go to a local Plumber's supplier, who invariably offer cheaper than TP. For paint and decorating stuff generally, I use a local high-street decorating centre, who never give discount or make special offers or give credit, they just hold their standard price as low as they can, and it's usually the cheapest around.
For stocking up on handles, hinges, bolts, and suchlike, Screwfix is often the cheapest.

You've got to shop around and do your research in your own locality, it'll be different for all of us.

I wouldn't be able to use the Jesus Army even if they existed in my area - they'd smell the devil in me and chase me out with crucifixes and incense.
philprime

Post by philprime »

I use my local timber merchant better quality than most plus I get a good delivery service.

Now days you have to shop around for prices as they vary so much I priced a job up in January from two local merchants and they came back £500 difference between the two
A meeting is an event where minutes are taken and hours wasted.

The gene pool has no life guard!
Razor

Post by Razor »

TBS are the best of a limited bunch where you are. That's what comes of living over there :lol:

As said Travis are ok if you get the discount but sometimes trade point at B&Q can be quite competitive especially on the bagged stuff. Best advice would be to use the net for a quick check around to compare. Even allowing for bee n poos bad website it shouldn't take long and will save thousands!!

Say hi to Wim next time you're in :wink:
I think I'll take two chickens...
Chappy

Post by Chappy »

Yes, limited is the word!
Thing is, I never used to use the Jesus Army out of principle, they prey on vulnerable people, getting them to sign their lives over to the communes, and the organisation has seen off quite a few local businesses over the years - they have Architects, UPVC windows, plumbers, electricians, builders, goodness foods retailers, haulage etc etc. all operating at minimal overheads compared to the competition.
But now I'm doing this for living I just can't ignore them. I'd love to support the TP up the road, but the price difference is ridiculous and they rarely have stuff in stock that I need.
One thing is for sure - its got nothing to do with Jesus. There must be a multi-millionaire running the show somewhere in London with a Bentley and a smug grin!

Return to “Building Forum”