cat 5 cable to wall socket wiring

All your computer hardware and software questions in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

TimB100

cat 5 cable to wall socket wiring

Post by TimB100 »

Hi,

I'm about to wire up a network extension. I have used a long network cable (plug both ends) and will have one end plugged into a network extender. The other end is to be terminated in a network wall socket after I cut the plug off.

The wall socket has all the connection details included wire colours etc. But as the other end is using the supplied plug will it be correct? Do I need to switch over connections or anything?

Thanks

Tim
kellys_eye

Re: cat 5 cable to wall socket wiring

Post by kellys_eye »

The wall plate should ALWAYS stay the same and as per the colours indicated.

The cable can change depending on your requirement and will be made up (cross-wired if necessary) and purchased according to your needs.

Why you want to cut the plug off is a mystery though :dunno:
Don't take it personally......
TimB100

Post by TimB100 »

I want a wall socket. I used a Cat5 E cable as I could buy a 30 mtr cable. Since I do not want just a cable hanging out the wall the plug has to be cut off and wired into the socket.

Now how do I determine what I need to do at the other end to plug it into my router?

thanks...
Ktuludays

Post by Ktuludays »

Why not just plug it into the router and hard wire at other end or hard wire to 2 faceplates and use a cable to router.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

Same answer.

Network extender socket --- cable (with plugs at each end) --- wall plate socket --- internal wiring using CAT5 cable to the next wall plate. wall plate - cable (with plugs at each end) - equipment

The cable from the wall plate to the PC will have a plug on either end.

Most cables are wired as straight through (T568A) - you only use cross-over (T568B) when connecting two pieces of equipment in a peer-to-peer fashion.
Bob225

Post by Bob225 »

T568A/B are just standard ways of terminating cables and are not anything to do crossover cables, tbh most hardware for at least the last 10 years has automatic x-over switching built in

KISS, A socket each end and standard cat5E cable in between and a few patch leads, be aware that pre made cables use stranded wire and are pain to punch down (terminate), networking cable is solid core and is designed for permanent installation aka structured wiring

I have fitted 1000's of meters of cable and terminated even more connections over the years

ps. pre made cable do not have a set colour standard and you will have to look at the plugs
kellys_eye

Post by kellys_eye »

What I wrote was that the cable colour code is the 568B standard on each end of a straight-through 10/100BaseT cable. If a crossover cable is needed, use the 568A standard on one end and 568B on the other end. I believe this is correct.

However, as you point out, most modern equipment does the x-over automatically :thumbleft:
These users thanked the author kellys_eye for the post:
vlb
Rating: 7.14%
TimB100

Post by TimB100 »

Thanks to every one who commented. I think I have to sorted now using the advice.

Cheers Tim

Return to “Computers”