how do I isolate heating to trace cause of lost pressure

Questions about central heating and boiler questions in here please.

Moderator: Moderators

joetheghost
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

how do I isolate heating to trace cause of lost pressure

Post by joetheghost »

I have a Glowworm Energy boiler that is losing pressure,I want to know if it is the boiler ,which is two years old or the piping I tried leak sealer a year ago but it didnt seem to have any effect.I cant see any leakage signs like drips or such
Someone-Else

Re: how do I isolate heating to trace cause of lost pressure

Post by Someone-Else »

I am not a heating engineer. Have you looked outside? if your boiler has a pressure relief valve it may be "letting by"
(A prv has a pipe from inside to outside, and outside it will run to a drain / gutter. The idea being if the pressure gets too high the prv opens and "dumps" all the water to reduce pressure. If it has operated it may not have sealed properly)
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
gas4you

Post by gas4you »

Pressurise boiler to 2bar, shut isolating valves to flow and return under the boiler, leave boiler unused for as long as possible.

If pressure drops then leak is somewhere on the boiler itself, if pressure drops when you open the valves, then leak is somewhere on the pipe work/rads etc.
Dave
joetheghost
Newly registered Member

Post by joetheghost »

gas4you wrote:Pressurise boiler to 2bar, shut isolating valves to flow and return under the boiler, leave boiler unused for as long as possible.

If pressure drops then leak is somewhere on the boiler itself, if pressure drops when you open the valves, then leak is somewhere on the pipe work/rads etc.

Thanks for your reply ,I can't see any shut off valves coming out of the boiler so I m wondering if they are integral or part of the boiler itself,instead of being on the pipe work.The boiler is Glowworm Energy.
Someone-Else

Post by Someone-Else »

Have you looked underneath?
Above are my opinions Below is my signature.

Would you hit a nail with a shoe because you don't have a hammer? of course not, then why work on anything electrical without a means of testing Click Here to buy a "tester" just because it works, does NOT mean it is safe.

:mrgreen: If gloom had a voice, it would be me.

:idea1: Click Here for a video how to add/change pictures

Inept people use the QUOTE BUTTON instead of the QUICK REPLY section :-)
joetheghost
Newly registered Member

Post by joetheghost »

Yes I looked underneath but couldnt see any sign of leakage ,did you mean to look underneath for a shut off valve or such b cause I wouldn t recognise one if I saw it.
joetheghost
Newly registered Member

Post by joetheghost »

joetheghost wrote:Yes I looked underneath but couldn't see any sign of leakage ,did you mean to look underneath for a shut off valve or such b cause I wouldn' t recognise one if I saw it.
Couldyou osta pic of whatever it is that the screwdriver is aimed at in your pic

Return to “Central Heating & Boilers”