Roundup ProActive dilution rate

Please post all of your gardening questions in here and one of our green fingered members will try and help.

Moderator: Moderators

curtains

Roundup ProActive dilution rate

Post by curtains »

I've been given some Roundup ProActive to spray the horsetails in my garden and I was told to mix it at a rate of 1 part per 2.5 ie 200ml to 5lts but does this sound like to much weed killer. I've had a look at the label on the back of the bottle but I cannot see where they got the application rate from and I was wondering if they used the ratio for the weed wiper mini 1:2.25 dilution with water.
The application rate I think I got to use is for the knapsack / handheld sprayer
Standard volume (200 l/ha) 250ml in 10 litres water covers 500 m2.
Low volume (100 l/ha) 500 ml in 10 litres water covers 1000 m2.
boxedin

Re: Roundup ProActive dilution rate

Post by boxedin »

I think that dosage rate is looks too high for spraying

I am using roseate 36 similar strength glyphosate at 15ml per litre or so 5ltres is about 75ml dosage with a sprayer. This is for horsetail, couch, nettle, rosebay willow herb, docks and bindweed mixed in amenity areas (best done before any of it seeds which is a bit late for some weeds now). You don't necessarily see an immediate effect it takes a while to work its way through the plant It can take a month before the weed goes brown but it is then dead to the root

The standard retail glyphosate strength is about 80gl so doesn't go as far and requires about 60ml per litre thats the only difference between glyphosate ONLY and amenity grade glyphosate ONLY weedkillers. There are other amenity weed killers for paddocks and for selective weedkilling of grass areas which hang around for a long time and should not be used for food growing areas or indeed compost made from the plants used eg grass clippings and even horse muck

I have found if you hoe horsetail as soon as it appears it doesn't have much time to photosynthesize and so doesn't get as rampant also you are hoeing the spores early before they have had chance to fertilise. Glyphosate has killed it around the greenhouse on the allotment at retail strength but that was earlier in the year when it was younger so less tough. Its also important to replant or cover with weed control fabric to prevent it springing up again as it doesn't appear to like competition

For horsetail, some are trying mixing glyphosate with lawn food (the lawn food stimulates growth and supposedly enhances , or powdered wallpaper paste and painting it on with a brush and others say ammonium sulphamate once legal as a weedkiller in this country and still legal as a compost accelorator is effective. Theres also kurtail and Pearl both (glufasinite ammonium) they do kill it but are expensive at about £40 per half litre.

Return to “Gardeners World”