Pergola / Privacy Screen Help Please.

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

StevenUK
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Pergola / Privacy Screen Help Please.

Post by StevenUK »

Hi,

Our new neighbours recently bought the house next door, and cut down a tree that was giving our house (and their's) both privacy for well over 10 years, as we are both corner houses.

This is, and was, their perogative, as the tree was in their garden. I suspect the tree was originally planted well over 20 years ago to protect from this exact privacy issue/problem.

However, now the tree has been cut down, our privacy has now been severely limited.

So, what we are planning, is to build a pergola to hide their windows from looking directly onto our garden area where we sit, and our conversatory.

To give you an example, this is what it now looks likes looking directly out of our conservatory:

The tree (when it was there) covered the second 2 windows, and the first window will have frosted glass (they have told me this, as it is a bathroom).

So I was looking at corner pergolas, which I think will help with this issue, and have photoshopped one such corner pergola in:

The area we have to work with on the decking area is 'extremely' small. Trellis would be far too low by itself. On the picture I am actually bending down, so to get anywhere near the height to block those windows you are talking about 12 foot, hence the pergola, which will not only use limited floor space, but will give the height with the slats to block those windows.

For the life of me, I cannot think of any other semi-permanent solution. We could also put some trellis on the far top post to close that off, and as we have a South facing garden, light will not be a problem with a corner pergola I don't think.

I don't think I would need planning permission having quickly checked (as long as the structure is not more than 2.5mtr, unless I am missing something, and I would need to get somebody in to design and built the specific dimensions.

Would you say the above is feasible?

Thank you in advance for any advice/help.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Re: Pergola / Privacy Screen Help Please.

Post by Job and Knock »

I'd say it was perfectly feasible. One of your timbers would need to be a ledger, attached to the wall, as you have only two or three legs, but other than that it appears to be fairly straightforward
These users thanked the author Job and Knock for the post:
StevenUK
Rating: 7.14%
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
adonis

Post by adonis »

What about a sail shade?
https://www.primrose.co.uk/sail-shades-c-85.html

You can get them with frames as well.
These users thanked the author adonis for the post:
StevenUK
StevenUK
Newly registered Member

Post by StevenUK »

adonis wrote:What about a sail shade?

You can get them with frames as well.
Yes, that was the only other option we were looking at, a sail shade, but we wanted a fairly permanent solution not restricted by wind and elements, and it is not the shade we want just to height of the slats pointing towards our house as we have two patio doors there and want to keep as much light as possible.

Thanks for your reply. Appreciated.
StevenUK
Newly registered Member

Post by StevenUK »

Job and Knock wrote:I'd say it was perfectly feasible. One of your timbers would need to be a ledger, attached to the wall, as you have only two or three legs, but other than that it appears to be fairly straightforward
Thank you.

It was going to be three posts, but saying two posts if the ledger is attached to the house could be a good option to remove one of the posts, I never thought of that as a possibility, as would look better not having a post near the gate in the corner, which could restrict access (width).

Thank you, I just need somebody to build it now, as getting a tradesman to do it seems to be an impossible task, even with ads on mybuilder, etc.
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Post by Job and Knock »

StevenUK wrote:... I just need somebody to build it now, as getting a tradesman to do it seems to be an impossible task, even with ads on mybuilder, etc.
Why not do it yourself, then? A pergola isn't that complicated, and you could learn a bit in the process. I find there is a great deal of satisfaction in being able to look at a completed piece of work and say (to myself), "I made that!". And that's despite being a working chippie!
These users thanked the author Job and Knock for the post:
StevenUK
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
StevenUK
Newly registered Member

Post by StevenUK »

Job and Knock wrote:
StevenUK wrote:... I just need somebody to build it now, as getting a tradesman to do it seems to be an impossible task, even with ads on mybuilder, etc.
Why not do it yourself, then? A pergola isn't that complicated, and you could learn a bit in the process. I find there is a great deal of satisfaction in being able to look at a completed piece of work and say (to myself), "I made that!". And that's despite being a working chippie!
I might have to if I cannot get anybody. Strangely enough I was in B&Q earlier and the beams, slats (slats possibly not wide enough though for the coverage needed) and other bits would probably cost no more than £150. Mainly time though, but could be an option if I cannot get anyone.

You're in Lancashire, maybe you could do it, I am near the Trafford Centre. :-P

Thanks again, though.

Return to “General DIY forum”