plumbing, drainage and waste water questions here please

Moderator: Moderators

neanderthal man
Newly registered Member
Been thanked: 0

Toilet cistern won't stop filling

Post by neanderthal man »

Hi all

The toilet cistern won't stop filling and water is flowing out of the pipe to the outside world.

The obvious quick fix is to turn the valve underneath the cistern to stop water going into the cistern but when I turn it anti-clockwise it won't turn a full quarter - it stops after 1/8th (as if it the thread is stopping it). I've sprayed some WD40 on it to see if that loosens it, and I've been trying to turn the screw in both directions to get it moving, but until then I have had to turn the water off to the whole house.

When flushed the water is filling the cistern and the ballcock rises to stop the water coming in (I've checked it and it can't come up any more) but still water keeps coming in.

So I've got two problems:

Why is the water still coming in and what can I do about the valve underneath which I can't seem to turn a full quarter.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I've added a couple of pics to show what type of set up is in the cistern and the valve underneath.
Attachments
IMG_0121.JPG
IMG_0121.JPG (68.07 KiB) Viewed 1922 times
IMG_0120.JPG
IMG_0120.JPG (79.56 KiB) Viewed 1922 times
neanderthal man
Newly registered Member

Re: Toilet cistern won't stop filling

Distaster! I can now turn the screw on the isolation valve in both directions but it keeps going round and round so it won't do its job of cutting off the water.

So whilst I have the water turned on water will be filling the cistern and then going out via the overflow pipe to the outside of the house.

I know I will have to replace everything but has anyone any idea how I can stop the water coming up into the cistern whilst still having water available elsewhere in the house?
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

Inlet valve needs replacing, not a difficult job. Water off at the mains empty the cistern, Flush then a sponge to remove any residual water) remove old, replace with new, adjust as necessary. while you are at it replace the iso valve making sure the arrow is pointing the right way.
These users thanked the author wine~o for the post:
neanderthal man
Rating: 7.14%
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk
neanderthal man
Newly registered Member

wine~o wrote:Inlet valve needs replacing, not a difficult job. Water off at the mains empty the cistern, Flush then a sponge to remove any residual water) remove old, replace with new, adjust as necessary. while you are at it replace the iso valve making sure the arrow is pointing the right way.
Many thanks for the reply.

I guessed it might be the inlet valve that might need replacing and I have manged to replace all the bits and pieces in our two other toilets in the house previously.

The iso valve seems a bit trickier for me as it is attached to the bottom bit of pipe coming up from the floor with a nut. My worry is that if I try and turn that nut (it has been there for 19 years since house was built) I'll end up turning the pipe and mayhem will ensue although that should be mitigated by the fact I'd have turned the water off I guess.
wine~o

Post by wine~o »

So long as you have two adjustables shouldn't be an issue. One to clamp the iso valve in place, the other undoing the lower nut. have an old towel handy as there will be a little residual water. (you will only need three hands for that part ) :lol:

Probably best to replace the Iso valve first.
These users thanked the author wine~o for the post:
neanderthal man
Rating: 7.14%
Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk

Return to “Plumbing Forum”