Moderator: Moderators

tododo
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cooker Hood Extractor Positioning Problem

Post by tododo »

Hi all

We have recently had extension built and in the process of getting kitchen installed very slowly as Im doing it

Today decided to have a look at the extractor fan for the cooker and how it looks with the hole my builder put through the wall a few weeks ago now - to be fair hes nailed he centre line of the hole however hes positioned the hole too low by a mile really - the reason he placed where it is is because its now only about 2inches below the guttering facia outside - so we are limted by that really- I did query whether we should wait or measure up but he went ahead anyway

Now its way too low - what are the options do you think just leave the extractor on recirculate option instead or put a vent through the pitched roof above the cooker instead - I think we are between joists if we need to do that so thats something positive

Any advice would be appreciated - if we do get the builder back to go through the roof - is that a big job - I dont think it is but thats me - is there any sort of issue with condensation comming down the pipe

What would I need to google for the tile above - vent tile maybe or am I looking for something specific - may do myself as builder has come back and said to help out reduce the 150mm hole to a 100mm pipe instead - as he said he never seen 150mm pipes go in

Photo below may help - hole is located to the right of middle cable on the right of photo

Thanks all
wes56

Re: Cooker Hood Extractor Positioning Problem

Post by wes56 »

post a photo from outside showing the hole and the fascia/roof.
ayjay

Post by ayjay »

You also need to take into account that there's a minimum height above the hob that the hood has to be, the destructions for the hood will give you that info.

if it goes through the roof, you'll probably need a lead slate to seal the roof and a suitable cap for the vent pipe.
One day it will all be firewood.
tododo
Newly registered Member

Post by tododo »

Heres some photos today inside and out - im currently thinking theres just enough maybe to go up a bit

Would it matter if it went through the facia -probably look a bit naff maybe

OchAye

Post by OchAye »

So how high above the hob is the hole, and can your cooker hood extract straight out from its back? Follow what Ayjay said for minimum height (I remember something like 700mm when I was tinkering with my kitchen). You don't want to go above the recommended height either as you will lose suction for what matters.
tododo
Newly registered Member

Post by tododo »

The bottom of the hole is roughly 860mm from the worktop height (we havent got the worktop in yet) - the gas hob instructions say 650mm minimum

So 700mm Ill be happy with

The problem is the top exit only cooker hood I suppose - the mechanism on it is BIG and only goes up

Will see what we can do on the weekend and go from there
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

Do you have any links to the cooker hood. You may be able to place it at the minimum height and then exit from above then turn 90 degrees and straight out ... if you see what I mean.
tododo
Newly registered Member

Post by tododo »

Yes its this one

https://ao.com/product/nk36m5070cs-sams ... 992-5.aspx

it doesnt have back exit - ive looked

Im gonna pick up a 90 bend and straight bit tommorrow and then we will see what we can do on the weekend
OchAye

Post by OchAye »

Reading the manual https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/NK36M5070CS/UR/ I can't figure out the height from e.g. the filter to the outlet above. In the text part it says that minimum distance is 50cm (500mm) for electric hob and 65cm for gas hob ... but the hob manufacturer may advice differently. IF a pan lights up the flames easily reach either height ... just saying from some small experience (when some b@st@rd rung my bell).

If you end up going straight up all the way, fit a condensation trap ... and the hole might come handy for getting the water out and dripping all the way down your new wall :-( else the condensation is going to drop back in your excellent cooking :lol:

Return to “Building Forum”