How to take samples of artex for asbestos testing?

Please use this forum for all DIY posts that do not fit into a specific category.

Moderator: Moderators

udaman

How to take samples of artex for asbestos testing?

Post by udaman »

Hi

I received my sampling kits today for asbestos testing.... It said instructions would be included, which they are, but they don't give you much beyond wetting the area and using a sharp knife. I was hoping for more practical advice and instructions...

...so it's over to you guys...

I've read plenty about the safety precautions to take, but how to actually take the artex sample?

And should I aim to remove chunks/single pieces? Or does it matter if it comes off in small crumbly pieces?

Many thanks
Job and Knock
Old School Chippie

Re: How to take samples of artex for asbestos testing?

Post by Job and Knock »

Mask, gloves, wet the area, use a Stanley knife with a fresh blade to take a small scraping or chunk off the ceiling straight into the bag. The fibres are extremely small so they'll be examined under a microscope in any case
"The person who never made a mistake, never made anything" - Albert Einstein

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell from The Triumph of Stupidity", 1933
ahfix

Post by ahfix »

The issue with asbestos is the airborne particles so i'm told if you get the artex damp enough, perhaps with a steamer it will come off as "goop". Should be perfectly safe.

I removed artex using a solution i bought at toolstation, paint it on and wait for the artex to become soft and then scrapped it off. I had a aching back and shoulders for days. I then got a plaster in who said he would have just scrapped the high points off as it was and plastered over it ...

ah
kevinsmbuk

Post by kevinsmbuk »

Just bond over it, then 2 coats of skim
gc1967

Post by gc1967 »

Leave well alone I had a Painter friend die at 50 from asbestosis, scraping down school ceilings, etc since the age of 16, you just dont think, asbestos is a killer, either get a professional in to do the test or leave it alone and as already mentioned do what most do and have it skimmed over.

Return to “General DIY forum”