Plastering Trowel vs Float

Plastering questions and answers here please

Moderator: Moderators

skiking
Has thanked: 0

Plastering Trowel vs Float

Post by skiking »

Hi, I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't seem to find the answer on the board so forgive me if it has been asked before but what is the difference between a plastering trowel and a float ? Both look identical to me (a novice!). Is there a difference and if so when and where should one use them ?
ultimatehandyman
Site Admin

Post by ultimatehandyman »

A plasterers trowel is like this-

and a plasterers float is like this-

Many people (myself included ) have been lead to beleive that a plasterers trowel is called a float. Most of the places that sell them call them floats, when infact they are trowels.

Floats are made of polycarbonate or similar.

When I was doing the plastering section I tried to find the answer to this and all the websites that I checked were selling trowels as floats and so I used the term "float" on my pages, although I thought it was incorrect.

-dj- has since confirmed that it is a plasterers trowel :wink:
Attachments
float.jpg
float.jpg (4.35 KiB) Viewed 26927 times
-dj-

Post by -dj- »

you know what the trowel is for. the float or devil float is used after the application of a backing coat, you would put some nails in the end of the float that protrude a couple of mil then rub over your backing coat in a figure of eight pattern. this does two things, it drags the plaster together filling minor imperfections and also gives a key for a top coat, if i find my float which i havn't used in years i'll take a pic for you!!
skiking

Post by skiking »

I think I should have been clearer in asking what the difference is between a trowel and a float by linking to ScrewFix's plasterers trowel and steel floats. These look identical to me so I get the impression its all down to slightly incorrect labeling - it was this that was confusing me :?
Having looked at other posts I'll look into a Marshalltown trowel altho' I'm not sure I can justify £30-40 especially when I throw it out of the window when my plaster keeps falling off :lol: Also, I'll have to keep the receipt out of the way of the missus
Thanks for the replies
-dj-

Post by -dj- »

yes the wording plasterers trowel and float are wrong as far as plastering is concerned.
go on ski, bite the bullet and go and get a decent marshaltown, you won't regret it!!

i should be on comission from marshaltown :lol:
Jaeger_S2k
Pro Handyman

Post by Jaeger_S2k »

-dj- wrote:go on ski, bite the bullet and go and get a decent marshaltown, you won't regret it!!
I agree! I bit that bullet, for years when I was younger (that'll be a while ago then?) I used to buy cheaper tools now I know the results that good tradesmen get is because they use the right gear.

I'm sure they could get a great result with a £4.99 Trowel from B & Q but ask them if they'd like to use it all day every day?

skiking it's like this.
You and I are already behind dj, in the plastering skills department. Yes?
So to help us catch up you need the best tools. Yes?
There that's my argument, works every time. Just thing of the money you've saved!

-dj- wrote:i should be on comission from marshaltown :lol:
I agree
Jaeger.
Senior Member doesn't mean I'm OLD!
skiking

Post by skiking »

The old addage, 'a bad workman always blames his tools'
Not always the tool, its the person using it :wink:
Jaeger_S2k
Pro Handyman

Post by Jaeger_S2k »

Yeah, but I don't know where you got the impression I was blaming the tools?

But as old adages go....
No matter how much you polish a turd, at the end of the day it's just a shiny turd.

I'm not saying you'll do a better or worst job with better or worst tools, as I said dj could probably skim a wall with a £4.99 plastic handle trowel and have a better finish than me because of his experience.

Surely it is then prudent for me to equip myself as best I can with the right/better tools for the job, and in doing so be better equipped to produce a better result, in a small way negating my lack of experience.

If I have the best tool for the job then the job I am able to produce will in fact be better, as it is now limited solely to my ability.

So now when I am stood there polishing a turd, I know that it is the best polish a turd could get as I have the best tool for the job, and I may just be employing the wrong plasterer?
:-P
Jaeger.
Senior Member doesn't mean I'm OLD!

Return to “Plastering Forum”