plumbing, drainage and waste water questions here please

Moderator: Moderators

HotPlumber
Newly registered Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Fernox TF1 or Magnaclean filter?

Post by HotPlumber »

I hope the following will be useful to someone who is looking at a central heating filter.

I have been installing Magnaclean filters for a few years now - a magnetic inline filter used to clean the c**p from heating systems and protect newly installed boilers from dirty old systems:
http://www.adeysolutions.co.uk.

Always game to try something new, Last week I purchased a new filter made by Fernox - The TF1:
http://www.fernox.com/?cccpage=Total_Filter_TF1&sub=11

My findings:

Installation:
Relatively easy to install. Found the valves awkward to get at to service the unit. Prefer Magnaclean setup.
Fernox claim more dirt capacity and easier servicing than Magnaclean. The system last week was a good test because it was really dirty. I removed the lid after an hour and the filter was full - any more and it would have blocked the flow. It had trapped quite a bit of sludge, but Magnaclean definitely holds more dirt, no question.

Servicing:
This is where it went pear shaped. Fernox say you can just remove the magnet from its tube and open the bottom drain valve and flush through. So with the sludge still attached I replaced the lid assembly (this is a pain as you have to line up 4 'lugs' with matching cavities and I found it hard to keep the o'ring seal in position) and flushed the unit as per instructions.

There are two glaring problems with TF1:

a. the black water sprayed everywhere! Spent a few minutes cleaning up.

b. When I checked the magnet tube assembly again, I was amazed to find at least half of the dirt still inside the canister - after flushing it!! It was fortunate that I checked - I bet most plumbers won't bother - and it would have meant that for the next year until I return to service it, the filter would have only had half the capacity left to fill. This is a stupid design, or should I say stupid servicing technique, and made me a bit mad actually. When you clean a Magnaclean, a simple process, you can see it is 100% clean. When you clean it you always clean it fully. It's just a better design than TF1.

I contacted Adey who make the Magnaclean filter and spoke to their technical team. They said they are fully aware of the design issues with Fernox total filter 1 (TF1), and that they had made a see-through version of TF1 and found that TF1's ability to catch non-magnetic debris is almost non-existent. They said the dirt 'vortex's' back out of the filter and into the system again. They would say that I suppose, but as a fairly technical chap myself, you can see that they are probably correct just by looking at the funnel shape design. TF1 is not a Dyson!

So this is my 'opinion' of the TF1. My old dad always said you get what you pay for in life. Magnaclean may be a bit more expensive, but it seems the design is right, so I'm sticking with them :-)

I would be interested to hear if any of you have tried a TF1. Check the magnet part after following Fernox instructions, I bet it is still dirty :-0

Have fun! I hope this helps.
thescruff

Post by thescruff »

Good post HP.

We have always said that about the spiro version, although they say you just open the valve to clean it, and I thought the TF1 was the same, I didn't realise you had to take it to bits to clean them out.

The catchment is too small in both cases. :roll:
HotPlumber
Newly registered Member

Post by HotPlumber »

Hi

Stopped fitting Spirotechs years ago! They don't seem to catch much dirt, if any.

I have had a couple of problems with Magnacleans over the last few years, mostly valves (the new black ones have been 100% fantastic though) but ADEY customer care is impressive. They seem to have us installers as top priority - a refreshing change! Full marks.

They guy who invented Magnaclean was a heating engineer himself, so I guess that's why his products are so good.

Steve.
thescruff

Post by thescruff »

I tested the first one on the most neglected system you could imagine, 50 year old, steel pipes etc that has been altered over the years, no inhibitor etc. :roll:

I took the old boilers out, and fitted an Alpha in it's place, and the magnaclean turned the water from thick gravy to a slight brown tinge in a couple of weeks. :thumbright:

Oh, it was for my club. :shock:
gavjbrown
Newly registered Member

Post by gavjbrown »

HotPlumber wrote:Hi

Stopped fitting Spirotechs years ago! They don't seem to catch much dirt, if any.

I have had a couple of problems with Magnacleans over the last few years, mostly valves (the new black ones have been 100% fantastic though) but ADEY customer care is impressive. They seem to have us installers as top priority - a refreshing change! Full marks.

They guy who invented Magnaclean was a heating engineer himself, so I guess that's why his products are so good.

Steve.
Hi Steve, I'm looking to get a Magnaclean and want to make sure I get one of that latest designs. What do you mean by "the new black ones". How can I tell the difference.

Many Thanks Gav
Razor

Post by Razor »

Early valves were red later ones are black :wink:

Still have more than their fair share of problems, lids that leak, valves with no positive stop so you never quite know when it's going to be overflowing when you get back from cleaning the magnet, crappy compression fittings that have far too short depth stops and you have to use 48" stillies to do them up, supplied with cheap/nasty street elbows that have seams in them and either aren't round or split when you do them up.

And the standard magnaclean doesn't pick up non magnetic dirt either :roll:

Fitted around 300 and it's not all bad they do work and they have their place but they should've ironed out all the faults by now.

Didn't bother fitting one on my system when the new boiler went in which must say something as theres a few in the garage :wink:
gavjbrown
Newly registered Member

Post by gavjbrown »

Hi Steve and thanks for the reply.

The reason I'm looking for a filter is because our glow worm 30ci broke down a couple of days ago and the British Gas engineer found the problem to be a clogged braided hose for the expansion vessel. He said any more sludge related problems and we wont be covered for free repairs.

He also suggest we get a magnaclean either from them £240 (I think) or also available cheaper elsewhere.

I plan on fitting myself and would like to know which you would currently recommend in my situation.

Edit - Im 99% sure which the return pipe is but is it and acceptable test to hold both the flow and return to feel which is warmer when the boiler fires up.

Thanks Gav
Razor

Post by Razor »

I'm not Steve :wink:

As you look on it the return is the 22mm copper pipe on the right :thumbright:
Razor

Post by Razor »

Magnacleans aren't all bad they do work but many professionals are frustrated by the faults it would be so easy to put right with a properly revised product ::b
gavjbrown
Newly registered Member

Post by gavjbrown »

Razor wrote:Magnacleans aren't all bad they do work but many professionals are frustrated by the faults it would be so easy to put right with a properly revised product ::b
Sorry Razor for calling you Steve. I will see if I can pick up a Magnaclean with black valves for a reasonable price then.

Thanks
fixer
Newly registered Member

Re: Fernox TF1 or Magnaclean filter?

Post by fixer »

HotPlumber wrote:I hope the following will be useful to someone who is looking at a central heating filter.

I have been installing Magnaclean filters for a few years now - a magnetic inline filter used to clean the c**p from heating systems and protect newly installed boilers from dirty old systems:
http://www.adeysolutions.co.uk.

Always game to try something new, Last week I purchased a new filter made by Fernox - The TF1:
http://www.fernox.com/?cccpage=Total_Filter_TF1&sub=11

My findings:

Installation:
Relatively easy to install. Found the valves awkward to get at to service the unit. Prefer Magnaclean setup.
Fernox claim more dirt capacity and easier servicing than Magnaclean. The system last week was a good test because it was really dirty. I removed the lid after an hour and the filter was full - any more and it would have blocked the flow. It had trapped quite a bit of sludge, but Magnaclean definitely holds more dirt, no question.

Servicing:
This is where it went pear shaped. Fernox say you can just remove the magnet from its tube and open the bottom drain valve and flush through. So with the sludge still attached I replaced the lid assembly (this is a pain as you have to line up 4 'lugs' with matching cavities and I found it hard to keep the o'ring seal in position) and flushed the unit as per instructions.

There are two glaring problems with TF1:

a. the black water sprayed everywhere! Spent a few minutes cleaning up.

b. When I checked the magnet tube assembly again, I was amazed to find at least half of the dirt still inside the canister - after flushing it!! It was fortunate that I checked - I bet most plumbers won't bother - and it would have meant that for the next year until I return to service it, the filter would have only had half the capacity left to fill. This is a stupid design, or should I say stupid servicing technique, and made me a bit mad actually. When you clean a Magnaclean, a simple process, you can see it is 100% clean. When you clean it you always clean it fully. It's just a better design than TF1.

I contacted Adey who make the Magnaclean filter and spoke to their technical team. They said they are fully aware of the design issues with Fernox total filter 1 (TF1), and that they had made a see-through version of TF1 and found that TF1's ability to catch non-magnetic debris is almost non-existent. They said the dirt 'vortex's' back out of the filter and into the system again. They would say that I suppose, but as a fairly technical chap myself, you can see that they are probably correct just by looking at the funnel shape design. TF1 is not a Dyson!

So this is my 'opinion' of the TF1. My old dad always said you get what you pay for in life. Magnaclean may be a bit more expensive, but it seems the design is right, so I'm sticking with them :-)

I would be interested to hear if any of you have tried a TF1. Check the magnet part after following Fernox instructions, I bet it is still dirty :-0

Have fun! I hope this helps.
thescruff

Post by thescruff »

Good first post fixer. :roll:

Did you mean to say something. :scratch:
DIY_Johnny
Mr. Grumpy

Post by DIY_Johnny »

Just on the magnaclean, Someone told me once that when doing a DIY clean you can get a attachment for a drill that vibrates the bottom of a rad to stir up all the cr@p which would be caught in the filter.

And thenm go through each rad in turn.

I suppose you would need the twintech for this rather than the standard to catch all the non magnetic crap?

Does this sound sensible and ifg so, whats the attachment called (if it even exists :lol:)
fayraz
Newly registered Member

Post by fayraz »

DIY_Johnny wrote:Just on the magnaclean, Someone told me once that when doing a DIY clean you can get a attachment for a drill that vibrates the bottom of a rad to stir up all the cr@p which would be caught in the filter.

And thenm go through each rad in turn.

I suppose you would need the twintech for this rather than the standard to catch all the non magnetic crap?

Does this sound sensible and ifg so, whats the attachment called (if it even exists :lol:)
Probably something like this - http://www.adeysolutions.co.uk/VibraClean.asp
thescruff

Post by thescruff »

Would I give old rads the GBH treatment with a vibrator :roll:

Not a cat in hells chance unless I was prepared to change a few leaky rads afterwards. :scratch:

Return to “Plumbing Forum”